Versicolor 4cm Enclosure Setup

codicez

Arachnosquire
Hi guys! I'm about to receive a Caribena Versicolor 4cm.. I set it up this enclosure for her... Just need to add substrate that will be a mix of cocofibre and Vermiculite... Just wondering what you guys think about...I'm noobie in the hobby so any suggestion will be more than welcome... I got 2 avic sling already,quite small.. This is gonna be bit bigger than the other that I got... I see on this forum few discussion and picture about but want to make sure to give to the Tarantula everything she needs...

IMG_20180223_025010.jpg IMG_20180223_024238.jpg IMG_20180223_024059.jpg

Thank you!

Theneil

Arachnoprince
It's a little hard to gage the size of the container without the spider present but the setup itself looks nice assuming the lid is secure. Plenty of webbing points for it to make a cozy home. I have one that is probably about 3-4cm which is going to be re-housed into a peanut butter jar after molts again.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Just wondering what you guys think about...I'm noobie in the hobby so any suggestion will be more than welcome... I got 2 avic sling already,quite small.. This is gonna be bit bigger than the other that I got... I see on this forum few discussion and picture about but want to make sure to give to the Tarantula everything she needs...
It looks fine overall; they like lots of leafy cover near the top of their cork.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Water bowls, and make sure holes aren't too large. Sure looks like an escape situation in the making.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I'm not sure I'd say an escape is imminent, but the hole size does give me pause. Make sure they're no bigger than the tarantula's carapace-- you'd be surprised what they can squeeze through.

Other than that, yes make sure they have a water dish, all tarantulas need 24/7 access to water. Some people won't give their slings water dishes because their enclosures are too small but that's why I never use an enclosure that's too small for a water dish! They won't drown, some tarantulas willingly submerge themselves in water and there are species that will swim under water and some that will walk across the water, aided by their hydrophobic setae.

I also note that the substrate looks pretty wet. Despite what you might have read, Avicularia/Caribena/Ybyrapora actually need dry substrate and overly-humid enclosures become a death trap to them.

codicez

Arachnosquire
mhmh So I don't think holes are a problem... I don't think she can pass thru them... Also Water dish, I pop in it.. is a problem if is in the other side from where she actually made her " den " ?
IMG_20180226_181308.jpg
IMG_20180226_181117.jpg

About substrate do you think is to wet? The flash it may give more lucid colour but is actually this one...
Do I need to take it out and let it dry and pop it in back or is anyway it can dry by itself in the enclosure?
Is cocofibre.
IMG_20180226_181650.jpg

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
It can dry out in the enclosure. It won't hurt them for it to be wet at the beginning, but yeah let it dry out and don't bother adding more. You can overfill the water dish a little bit once a week, but it's not totally necessary.

Where the water dish is located is great because they like to hang out near the top of their enclosure. It's just instinct to them. So offering it up high rather than on the ground means they'll probably come across it more quickly.

codicez

Arachnosquire
It can dry out in the enclosure. It won't hurt them for it to be wet at the beginning, but yeah let it dry out and don't bother adding more. You can overfill the water dish a little bit once a week, but it's not totally necessary.

Where the water dish is located is great because they like to hang out near the top of their enclosure. It's just instinct to them. So offering it up high rather than on the ground means they'll probably come across it more quickly.
So ok I will just leave it to dry out.... Do you think should I need to add a bit of hide, fake leaves around the water dish area? also as anchor point?!

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
So ok I will just leave it to dry out.... Do you think should I need to add a bit of hide, fake leaves around the water dish area? also as anchor point?!
I think what you have is fine. Anything more and it'll become too cluttered. As for the holes, it's hard to tell from that picture whether they're big enough for the T to slip through. You'll just have to observe them when they're near a hole. Compare it to the size of their carapace. If they're the same size or the hole is a little bigger then you know you have to do something.

If that happens, remove the tarantula and then you can put a bit of hot glue into the holes to make them smaller. Just remember for the future to err on the side of 'too small' rather than too big.

codicez

Arachnosquire
I think what you have is fine. Anything more and it'll become too cluttered. As for the holes, it's hard to tell from that picture whether they're big enough for the T to slip through. You'll just have to observe them when they're near a hole. Compare it to the size of their carapace. If they're the same size or the hole is a little bigger then you know you have to do something.

If that happens, remove the tarantula and then you can put a bit of hot glue into the holes to make them smaller. Just remember for the future to err on the side of 'too small' rather than too big.
Holes are fine... I was aware about the risk of escape tarantula thru ventilation holes... But those are almost half of her carapace size, not sure if the pic will let you understand the size
IMG_20180226_205446.jpg