vermiculite usage

Michael Ortiz

Arachnopeon
Hello all, its been a while since I have posted so for starters I hope all are doing well.
the reason for this post is to ask about vermiculite. Im rehousing my A. seemani adult.
I am considering using vermiculite to help maintain some of the moisture in her substrate. My question is how much do I use? im thinking about mixing it with plantation soil from exo terra and a all natural top soil. Any advice will help. thank you in advance

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't use much of it, personally. I have no problem maintaining moisture in enclosures without it. I use it for my crested gecko eggs and that's really it. I especially can't see it being good for burrowing species.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Most of the time I use a bit vermiculite with my more moisture dependent species, but no more than 5-10%. Haven't had any problems so far.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I have some experience with vermiculite since that and peat moss were the substrates of choice like 20 years ago. Coco fiber beats vermiculite in water retention by a long shot. Mixed in a 1:1 ratio with plain old top soil you have a soil mix that holds moisture and holds its shape for burrowing. Coco fiber, topsoil, or a 50/50 mix is all I use these days. Sometimes I will use more coco fiber than top soil in a mix for added water retention.

But if you are dead set on using vermiculite, you will need to put as much in as it takes to soak up water when poured in. Start with one part vermiculite to one part something else, mix it together real well, press it down firmly to the bottom of a container then start adding water a little bit at a time. After a couple of seconds goes by and the substrate looks and feels like mud, add more vermiculite and remix. When it comes to adding a soil additive to aid in water retention, the soil is supposed to soak up water like a sponge and when squeezed takes the shape of your fist. Plain topsoil has a lot of clay and/ or sand so when you add water it turns to sloshy mud. It is slow to soak up water, but it retains it very well. Something like vermiculite, peat moss, and coco fiber is quick to absorb water (well, peat moss doesn't as quickly as the other two), expands, and feels more like a wet sponge when squeezed in your hand.

The mix you want is something between mud and a sponge. Not easy to explain, but you will know it when you get it. I didn't quite get it until I experimented with adding water to each soil type by itself in separate containers without anything else in them then tried combining the two in different ratios.