vermiculite as substrate

lookerbrian

Arachnopeon
I recently purchased some vermiculite and had the following question. About half of my t's are slings so they get there water from misting, wetting substrate, etc.... i've heard of some people using straight vermiculite as a substrate but isn't there a possibility of the t consuming it if it is trying to drink? I'm personally shooting for a mix of vermiculite and eco earth but if anybody has any opinions or has tried this let me know. thanks!!!!

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use a mix, but I layer it. Usually a layer of vermiculite on the bottom covered by a thicker layer of peat moss. Works good for me.

I wouldn't worry about your T trying to eat vermiculite... lol..

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've used pure vemiculite in the past and found the tarantulas don't seem to like it. They climb the walls hides and so forth, in an attempt to avoid standing on it. Now I use a mix of peat moss and vermiculite, and it works well.

patrick86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There are too many better substrates than vermiculite, why use it at all?

lookerbrian

Arachnopeon
There are too many better substrates than vermiculite, why use it at all?
I live in an apartment. Even on the most humid of days, I still end up with humidity issues.(being to dry). I read that vermiculite is really good for holding humidity levels. Figured i'd give it a try.

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

I've used pure vemiculite in the past and found the tarantulas don't seem to like it.

I'm currently trying this out on a P. irminia. Within 2 hours of being introduced, it started burrowing and pretty much just hangs out in it. I was just more concerned about whether or not it could accidentally be ingested due to it being very small chunks.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Vermiculite has it's advantages; it's sterile, holds humidity well, and a bag goes a long way. It just works best mixed with something else.

@lookerbrian you won't have any issues with indigestion at all. The pieces of vermiculite are bigger then grains of potting soil, so there should be no concern at all.