ventilation

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What kind should you use for very small spiders that you find and want to keep? How do you keep them from escaping?

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
most true spiders around me do well with no ventilation I just do not keep them overly moist, the smaller and the oens I do I use low mold/low heat to keep from molding/baking the spiders.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
exactly! with very small spiders, i just use no ventilation. it's not like they use up all the air. the only concern would be mold and sensitivity to other things, but it's usually not that big of a deal. could always use panty hose :D

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I personally have a preference for high ventilation, just to keep mold down. My room tends to stay moist, on account of being built from cinderblock ( And living in a usually rainy/cloudy/cold area)...so I keep my windows open for sunlight and a breeze.

I like to use metal mesh or those freebie pantyhose things you get when you go shoe shopping, yanno..the ones you pull out of a tissue box style thing in case you forget socks? :D I just nab a couple from each box I see...

{D;P

The one enclosure that does not get ventilation does have a light inside of it to dry up a mold prone area..and I threw in several isopods who are doing a pretty good job at eatin' up all the mold that was in there after I added more water. I need that cage humid though. I should add that it really kind of depends on the rquirements of your spider, too. I keep the callobius spiders with tin foil lids to keep it cool and most inside their cups. I also had moss and bark, and cocoa fiber...ventilation would work against that so yeah...no breeze!

It's up to you!