1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ventilation question

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by Mirandarachnid, May 31, 2019.

1. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    Advertisement
    So, I've been buying these 10 gallon aquariums from walmart. They don't come with any type of lid, which is fine because I'd probably end up modifying it or replacing it anyways. The price is 15$, so it's a pretty decent deal. I've got one for my hissers, and one for my S. heros so far.

My next project will be converting one into a fossorial/arboreal enclosure. I think I have a tendency to go overboard on ventilation. Most of my enclosures have heavy ventilation on three walls of the enclosure, with the front left intact for viewing.

This next enclosure will be the inverse of that, no ventilation on three sides or top, and heavy ventilation on one side.

Untitled.jpg.png This is what the acrylic side will look like. I'll leave a four inch lip on the top connected to a hinged door with a latch. Ideally I would be able to use it as depicted for a fossorial, or flip it upside down and use it for an arboreal.

I will be initially using the enclosure for my H. schmidti, but, as that spider is a male I know he won't be occupying that enclosure for a terribly long time.

My question, is this ventilation adequate for Avicularia sp.? I know cross ventilation is ideal for them. If not, what arboreal sp. would it be adequate for?

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  2. Minty

Minty @londontarantulas Arachnosupporter

London
    It’ll be fine for Avicularia sp.

The key is getting air to circulate. It only becomes a problem when the only ventilation is at the top, as far as I know.

3. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

Depends on how much ventilation there are in the top. I have housed avics in enclosures with eigher cross vents and top vents without any problems.

4. Mirandarachnid

Texas
    Like I stated in the original post, there will only be ventilation on the one acrylic side, none on top.

Yeah, that's part of my concern. That one side will have a ton of ventilation, I'm just not sure if having ventilation on only one side would allow for enough circulation.

I wonder if an oscillating fan in the spider room would be the push I need to move the air around a bit?

That's the problem with making a habit of going overboard.. I don't know how far I can scale back, lol :hilarious:

5. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

That will work. W/out cross vent, Avics don't typically do well, particularly if the humidity up tics a bit. Typically Avics will die w/out cross vent in new people's hands as I'm sure you know.
    Even the glass cubes in Europe pull air from the lower front, and up out the back.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mirandarachnid

Texas
    Luckily I live in a very dry area. After seeing the holes drilled in the acrylic, I'm pretty comfortable with the amount of ventilation it'll provide.

Three hours in front of a drill press, and the first occupant of the enclosure is a spider I get to see for five seconds at time a few times a month :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1