Ventilation for my C. versicolor sling

Spidersfrommars

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone,

I just got my first sling, a Caribena Versicolor on saturday. I found this enclosure at a reptile expo, it originally had 3 holes on 2 opposite sides. I have been seeing on here that lots of ventilation is important, so I wanted to add a few more holes in the upper lid portion. (the ones I added are smaller) I just used a heated up nail.

I am just worried cause the ventilation is only on the top portion of the sides, is that enough? Or does it need holes on the sides lower down too?

Cause I'm just a little unsure of what to do if its not enough, my sling just molted and I feel like if I needed to add more holes I would have to put it in another container while I do so, I don't want the heat or plastic smell while pushing the nail in to freak it out, and obviously its post molt so I can't move it any time soon either.

Opinions?

(btw) the reason its clouding with moisture on the sides is just from me rinsing off the lid.

IMG_4198.JPG

cold blood

Staff member
Should be OK....add a water dish though (unless its hiding of course).

I do prefer a 16 or 32 oz deli cup though. Easier to ventilate, cheaper and just as good of visibility.

Most that use amex boxes like that, invert them for avics (and their close relatives) because the t will undoubtedly make its home at the top, which will disturb webbing and possibly the t its self when opening. For this reason, most using this will also glue the plants and wood to the top part so things stay in place when the top is opened.

Nice to see more Milwaukeeans keeping ts:)

Spidersfrommars

Arachnopeon
Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member

Spidersfrommars

Arachnopeon
Cool cool, I'm from the city

Oh I just meant, oops I posted that thread link and then later realized you had already seen it.

cold blood

Staff member
Cool cool, I'm from the city
Yeah, I lived my youth on the north side, then tosa (went to tosa east), then by the stadium (miller park) and on the east side for years. I moved south 9 years ago, best move I ever made. Now I get woken up by wildlife, don't live around filth and noise like on the east side and deer are the biggest issue I deal with...lol.

Spidersfrommars

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I lived my youth on the north side, then tosa (went to tosa east), then by the stadium (miller park) and on the east side for years. I moved south 9 years ago, best move I ever made. Now I get woken up by wildlife, don't live around filth and noise like on the east side and deer are the biggest issue I deal with...lol.
Well while I don't like the litter I've enjoyed living in the city. I moved here three years ago from a suburb in TN. I lived in another suburb growing up before that so it's nice to be somewhere with more going on. I guess both have their pros and cons.