Ventilation and fungus?

Cazador

Arachnosquire
I recently bought my first Ts (g. pulchripes and B. hamorii slings) and also received these small enclosures from the seller. I know Ts don't need a great deal of ventilation, but are these four tiny holes really enough?

I'm also wondering about how it affects fungus growth. I had these containers sitting with slightly damp coco fiber for a few months (the slings are still in deli cups for now) and noticed a white fuzz growing on top. With more ventilation prevent that?

Attachments

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
I would recommend more ventilation for this enclosure. I've seen a lot of enclosures with holes on top and on the sides. Be really careful with how large you make the holes though. If the hole is big enough for the T's abdomen, it's big enough for the whole T to fit through.

I believe keeping the substrate dry should help prevent that fungus. I'm not really sure about B. hamorii but G. pulchripes loves to have its substrate bone dry. Personally, I would also keep B. hamorii's substrate bone dry as I have read a lot of threads where it is believed moisure in Ts really isn't all that good. If the slings are large enough, you can just give them water dishes as opposed to misting.

Also, if your slings are still really little, you might consider putting them in deli cups for now and then when they are bigger, moving them to this enclosure. How big are they right now?

Last edited:

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Not the abdomen, the carapace. If the hole is wide enough for the carapace to fit, the abdomen more than likely will be able to squeeze through along with it.

With the growths thing, yes more ventilation will help with that. Occasionally you might see some spot mold but you can just take that out when need be. Stagnant and moist enclosures encourage fungi to proliferate.

Deli cups are overall easier but you can make those enclosures work.

As to the original question, I would say that 4 holes are not enough. Some on the sides, some in the lid. There's no real exact number but people have preferences. With more ventilation though, the sub/water dish might dry up faster, so if anything start low and then add holes as necessary.

Last edited:

Cazador

Arachnosquire
I would recommend more ventilation for this enclosure. I've seen a lot of enclosures with holes on top and on the sides. Be really careful with how large you make the holes though. If the hole is big enough for the T's abdomen, it's big enough for the whole T to fit through.

I believe keeping the substrate dry should help prevent that fungus. I'm not really sure about B. hamorii but G. pulchripes loves to have its substrate bone dry. Personally, I would also keep B. hamorii's substrate bone dry as I have read a lot of threads where it is believed moisure in Ts really isn't all that good. If the slings are large enough, you can just give them water dishes as opposed to misting.

Also, if your slings are still really little, you might consider putting them in deli cups for now and then when they are bigger, moving them to this enclosure. How big are they right now?
They're about the size of a quarter (legspan and all) maybe a bit bigger, and they're currently in deli cups about four inches across. Really the container is about the same size, I'm just considering moving them since the deli cup lids stick occasionally and gives the Ts a shake when I open it, but I may also use them for jumping spiders instead. Either way it sounds like more holes is the way to go. :)