Venom variation between localities?

DaleGribble

Arachnopeon
Does snake venom vary within species depending on locality? I've heard and read this several times, was wondering if anyone could give some more insight

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It can, but most species have their own "locale" so its doesn't really come up... as it has to be same species isolated from each other completely. Im no expert though, just my 2 cents :eek:

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I read a paper a some time ago about tests done with prairie dogs and Crotalus viridis venom. They found that the prairie dogs had a good amount of immunity to the venom of their local prairie rattlers, but when they tested with venom from one of the same subspecies, from outside their range, the prairie dogs had no immunity to it.

I'm sure theres some truth to it, venoms are very complicated compounds with innumerable variables that could cause changes at many levels. The field of venom research really needs more participation. :)

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Yes, the most studied venomous snake exhibiting this phenomenon is the Mojave Rattlesnake, Crotalus scutulatus, but it is known to occur in other viperids and some elapids. C. scutulatus is also unusual in that it has a strongly neurotoxic component to its venom.

Of course, it also is known in scorpions. The best known example is Centruroides gracilis; the northern populations such as those found in Florida are fairly innocuous, whereas the southern populations found in Central America are quite dangerous.

Cheers, Michael

Last edited:

redhourglass

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi.

Just to add to this thread is that Centruroides gracilis is not found in Texas. Anyone to report a population of C. gracilis in TX please contact me.

Regards.

Sinc. Chad