Velvet Worm Vivarium - Epiperipatus barbadensis

Cresto

Arachnopeon
I have spent numerous hours researching the in's and out's of importing live invertebrates into the U.S, and while I can't find anything specifically banning Epiperipatus barbadensis, I do believe they are probably covered by the blanket ban. @Cresto, if you can find anything, let me know please. Here are some links, that if they were banned, they would probably be found within one of these sites. APHIS is the one that monitors potentially hazardous "pests", which Velvet Worms might be classified as.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...ation/live-animal-imports/import-live-animals

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...uct-import-information/ct_animal_imports_home

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/import-information

If it turns out to be legal, I would love to purchase some as well @AbraxasComplex, PM me as well please.

Many thanks,

Arthroverts
As to not derail this form, I have created a PM forum to discuss the importation and exportation of Velvet Worms.

Last edited:

EvaShui

Arachnopeon
These guys I imported myself and have had 3 successful generations so far. However as they are so sensitive and I only have a medium sized group (I estimate about 2 dozen) I am only providing small breeding groups to researchers and entomology departments.
Hi! I'm new to this board and came across your posts about your colony of velvet worms when I was trying to search for avenues to get them. I'm a researcher from Singapore (Nanyang Technological University), and we have a project based on velvet worm silk. However it is hard for us to get any velvet worms over here so we're trying to see if we can purchase them but no luck yet. By any chance can we get or purchase some of them from you so we can rear them in our research lab? :)

Stomps

Arachnopeon
Hey, I’m a student of Biology and was wondering if anyone knows a good place to get ahold of velvet worms in Australia?

PlatinumSun

Arachnopeon
Also how often do they breed once a year right? I want to start breeding as many as I can. I mean who wouldn't want what is essentially a Caterpillar which doesn't turn into a butterfly?

Would It be possible to selectively breed them for size, color and fertility?

Last edited:

Schledog

Arachnosquire
Also how often do the suckers breed once a year right? I want to start breeding as many as I can as possible. I mean who want what is essentially a catapillar which isnt a butterfly?
Would It be possible to selectively breed them for size color and fertility?
You do realize this is an EXTREMELY rare species in the hobby right? They aren't just something you come by often. They are also NOT at ALL something you just pick up to breed and sell off for money, they are extremely hard to breed and keep alive. I don't want to seem to harsh just the way you described them as "suckers" and "essentially a caterpillar" doesn't really line up with someone who fully understands the complexity of these animals or has the respect for them either.

PlatinumSun

Arachnopeon
You do realize this is an EXTREMELY rare species in the hobby right? They aren't just something you come by often. They are also NOT at ALL something you just pick up to breed and sell off for money, they are extremely hard to breed and keep alive. I don't want to seem to harsh just the way you described them as "suckers" and "essentially a caterpillar" doesn't really line up with someone who fully understands the complexity of these animals or has the respect for them either.
No I've heard they need very specific temperature especially the new Zealand ones. And must be kept in clean conditions. I know how rare they are. Ive only known they exist since a few months ago.

I didn't know they were so hard to keep alive though. Aslong as you keep the terrarium clean and free of mold, mites and out of the light. Whats the process for breeding them?

Still who wouldn't want to buy what are to a layman caterpillars which don't become butterflies. I wonder what a few decades of selective breeding can do to them. I mean there simpler organisms than dogs and it doesn't take too long (60 years no?) to change a dog breed to have more desirable traits even without inbreeding.

Last edited:

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These ones probably produce a few offspring a year. They also seem to be much easier to keep alive and healthy unlike other species that pop up on the market.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Fascinating.. one of the first threads I've given a through read in a while. Very interesting learning OP is located in Canada.. maybe one day.. ;)

I always thought tarantulas were niche, but in the invertebrate hobby, they seem to be the most standard animals you can keep.

Tylocimex

Arachnopeon
Greeting,
@AbraxasComplex ! I just wanted to applaud you on your great work with velvet worms!
I've kept an eye on your thread here for the last while, and I think I speak for a good number of people when I say you've done a lot to educate people on just what exactly one needs to take care of velvet worms for any amount of time. I am very interested in Velvet worm biology, and would love to keep them myself one day. I live on the opposite Canadian coast in NS, do you know if anyone on this end of the country keeps them? If I were to get them I would like to try and minimize the stress of transporting them.
Back onto the topic of your own experience keeping them, just curious, but have you decided which species you are considering as next to keep? I haven't been able to find much literature on them personally, but I wonder if anyone has tried to keep any of the South African species.

Schledog

Arachnosquire
I’m going to try to hunt down a native Florida species which someone mentioned, although I highly suspect that the velvet worm was a millipede or centipede. Even if I do find one I’m just going to take pictures and not keep it.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Greeting,
@AbraxasComplex ! I just wanted to applaud you on your great work with velvet worms!
I've kept an eye on your thread here for the last while, and I think I speak for a good number of people when I say you've done a lot to educate people on just what exactly one needs to take care of velvet worms for any amount of time. I am very interested in Velvet worm biology, and would love to keep them myself one day. I live on the opposite Canadian coast in NS, do you know if anyone on this end of the country keeps them? If I were to get them I would like to try and minimize the stress of transporting them.
Back onto the topic of your own experience keeping them, just curious, but have you decided which species you are considering as next to keep? I haven't been able to find much literature on them personally, but I wonder if anyone has tried to keep any of the South African species.
Well I'm always glad to share knowledge. I have sent some to a researcher in Ontario, however he is not selling any. I however am offering them, so if interested please drop me a message. All funds are going to help me try and import a Macroperipatus species from Trinidad. Though I'd really love to get my hands on some of the colourful Central and South American species.