1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Velvet ants, stick

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by Galapoheros, Jul 12, 2019 at 4:13 AM.

1. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

texas
    Advertisement
    Thought I would post a few things from east Texas I found when I was over there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 2
  2. Aquarimax

Aquarimax Arachnoangel Active Member

Utah
    Beautiful!! The velvet ants are gorgeous...I found some last year but no luck collecting. Peter at BICSsent me some though. :) I didn’t know that native phasmids got that massive!

3. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

Gorgeous! I had no idea the US had native stick insects!

4. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoemperor Active Member

• Love Love x 1
  5. Andrea82

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

Socal
    nice megaphasma!

the velvet ants are two different species

the one with all red and only black on the abdomen tip is D. bioculata, the other one is D. occidentalis- cowkiller

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. pannaking22

I believe there are rules about species crossing state lines and being moved from their native ranges, so it ends up being a bit of a wash, though there are native phasmids in most states. I'd have to look through the pics on BugGuide, but they may include a couple non-native species in there as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnobaron Active Member

@Andrea82, people like the exotic species for their colors and behaviors (most US natives are a drab brown or green), their surprising availability (US native species are difficult to find in the wild to the untrained eye, and are almost never offered for sale, while species like E. tiaratum can be found at reptile shows and online with surprising regularity), and by the fact that once they are in the US, APHIS stops looking for them it seems (please, I know APHIS does still keep an eye out and that because their here doesn't mean it's "legal" to keep them, so let's not have another drawn out discussion on their legality). At least that is what I've seen.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gogyeng

Gogyeng Arachnoknight Active Member

Amazing velvet ants ! Did you find these two females in the same spot?

10. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

texas
    Yeah I found them about 10' apart. If you're interested in where, in an area between Navasota and Hempstead Texas. Sometimes the megaphasma are pea-green like this one and in other areas they are bright green, the bright green ones look bigger to me just because of the color. I think I've seen some brown ones too, I guess it depends on the local veg, what works better.

Here's one I found in the Austin Tx area, a male I think, same sps?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 7:04 PM
  11. Andrea82

Cowkiller... Is that a cute common name, or referring to the severity of a bite? :eek:

12. Andrea82

Edit: never mind, googled it. It's not a cute common name :bag:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    Nope. I mean, obviously it won't actually kill a cow, but it will sure as hell teach you to shake out your boots before you put them on :hilarious:

Crazy cute though, I love keeping them when I come across them.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Because most people are only able to find one or two small sticklike species and it's actually a lot easier to find someone selling or giving away Extatosoma, Eurycantha, Heteropteryx, Phyllium etc. than someone who'll ship you another tiny sticklike phasmid from another part of the country.

This question is rather like asking why anyone would keep tarantulas when there are plenty of native spiders in any given region. Not that smaller spiders aren't cool, but tarantulas have an obvious appeal radically different from anything I could find in the woods here.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 10:20 PM
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. pannaking22

Yeah I think it's the same species. Female too. Males have weird looking claspers - https://bugguide.net/node/view/1687909/bgimage

16. Jim Cricket

Jim Cricket Arachnopeon

Maine
  17. Jlaw154

Jlaw154 Arachnopeon

Those are some great looking velvet ants and stick bugs

18. mantisfan101

mantisfan101 Arachnobaron Active Member

Dang the megaphasma took me by surprise!!!