Vejovis sp acting strange

Hairyspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just looked into my scorp tank, to find her standing about 1/4" above the sand, as you can see from the pic, her abdomine is huge. Does it look like she ready to give birth, and from which part does she give birth? I'll keep an eye on her and keep you posted.

Thanks

William

Attachments

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How large and what spp. is that? Where was it collected/from?

Hairyspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
re

its a Vejovis spinigerus, adult, 2 two inches, got from a reptile store, gravid. I've had it about 3 weeks or so.

Thanks

William

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Looks like she's stilting. That means she will probably give birth soon, though I have seen mine start to stilt up to a month and a half before giving birth.

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
They could also stilt if substrate conditions are not correct for the scorp...if the substrate is too moist...though it looks like your substrate is good for a V.spinigerus.

John
];')

Hairyspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
re stilting

this is the first time I have seen here do this, I just took another pic of her this morning. I can't believe how huge she has gotten. the substrate is ordinary play sand.

Skinhead: since you have had these give birth, can you tell me on average how many babies they have? so I can be prepared on how many deli cups I'll need for separation, after thier second molt.

Thanks again

William

Attachments

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
William,

I have never had this species give birth -- never had this species. I have had lot of other scorps stilt, though.

That being said, if you have 40 on hand you should be safe. 25 will do for most species almost all the time. Once she gives birth, you will have a week in which to estimate the number and get the appropriate number of deli cups. As I also breed Ts, I have found it useful to have them on hand in the hundreds.

Cheers,
Dave

Hairyspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks

I really don't plan on doing any breeding in the near future, this I purchased gravid, mainly just for the experience. The reptile/invert shop I got her from will gladly take any that I connot keep. I figure on keeping at least 5-6, maybe more, not sure.

Thanks
Again.

William

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Be prepared to provide really, really tiny food. They will be very small. Springtails are good, termites might work. I had one give birth once and the numbers Dave suggested are right on. I think I had at least 25. I tried to raise them communally in a larger container, and it didn't work out. I don't know if cannibalism was a factor however, I think that finding the right moisture gradient turned out to be the bigger problem for me.

I hope you have better luck than me.

Wade

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
A good replacement for the tiny prey, can be to rip up larger prey. I have yet to meet a baby scorp that wouldn't scavange. You can even use frozen crickets.

Cheers,
Dave

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I did do that some as well, and I think it worked. Hard to tell if they wefre really eating the cricket guts, they were so small. I liked to offer live stuff as well just in case.

If you have millipedes you might have springtails. If I need them to feed to something, I'll take a piece of bark from the milli cage. Usually, springtails will congregarte there. I'll brush the springtails into the scorpion cage, or else put the whole piece of bark in with them if it'll fit.

Wade

Hairyspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
baby scorp food

the adult will scavenge, I had left over crickets from my rose hair, that were too big so I squished them and she took them with no prob. So I don't think the babies will have a problem with it.

I picked up some deli cups from smart and final, so I'm pretty set, now comes the wait and see part

Thanks

William