Vaseline contain ants?

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Use a mix of talcum powder and water - mix a thick consistency then apply to the top of the formicarium, I've seen it used to great affect on Ants Canada channel - YouTube.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I think people do use vaseline, though it becomes less effective over time. It should be pretty easy to see if it's effective--put an ant in a small container with Vaseline around the top, see if it can climb out.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I think people do use vaseline, though it becomes less effective over time. It should be pretty easy to see if it's effective--put an ant in a small container with Vaseline around the top, see if it can climb out.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Use a mix of talcum powder and water - mix a thick consistency then apply to the top of the formicarium, I've seen it used to great affect on Ants Canada channel - YouTube.
Really does work, check out the channel - he keeps a few species in his house, it's an excellent source of information all about ants, and the talcum powder mixture is easy to make, I'm sure you've got talcum powder in your house now, it works. I'm sure it's a much cheaper alternative than liquid PTFE.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Easy to apply to with a little brush too.
Is it expensive and easy to get a hold of, it's not for me, I don't keep ants, the wife would NOT be happy if I brought ants home - she'd murder me....lol

basin79

ArachnoGod
Is it expensive and easy to get a hold of, it's not for me, I don't keep ants, the wife would NOT be happy if I brought ants home - she'd murder me....lol
I got my bottles from an online ant shop. Can't remember how much the bottles where but they weren't expensive. There was liquid PTFE on Amazon but I didn't know if it was the same so didn't risk it.

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have tried using Vaseline and it did not work at all for the Camponotus I was keeping. It didn't matter if they were large or small workers, they just crawled right over it. It does seem to deter Argentine Ants--at least until they cover it with debris to make footholds.

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They purposefully cover it with debris? If so, that's an amazing degree of forethought
Yes, it's pretty alarming that they're capable of even limited problem solving. This is only after they've gotten into the enclosures I want them to keep out of, so fortunately they don't seem to have the forethought to bring debris to get past the Vaseline and only use what's inside my enclosures once they've fallen in and discovered that there's an oily barrier.

Creobroter

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for your replies; I have seen the ants canada youtube channel and I am aware of the talcum powder method, but just wanted to know if vaseline worked as well (as I have it). I'll just have to take that arduous walk to the shops and buy some talcum powder.
Again, thank you.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
They purposefully cover it with debris? If so, that's an amazing degree of forethought
Ants have an amazing capacity of learning behaviour, that said so do many creatures in this amazing world of ours, I wish people would start to respect it the way we should, all the cures that have been decimated due to clearing rain forests of the world, just blows my mind, I'm going slightly off track now but it's still extremely important. I could sit here and go on and on, I won't, (Blessed relief) I hear you all cry.

Creobroter

Arachnopeon
Ants have an amazing capacity of learning behaviour, that said so do many creatures in this amazing world of ours, I wish people would start to respect it the way we should, all the cures that have been decimated due to clearing rain forests of the world, just blows my mind, I'm going slightly off track now but it's still extremely important. I could sit here and go on and on, I won't, (Blessed relief) I hear you all cry.
I completely agree. Destruction of the natural world is both immoral and short-sighted. It will ultimately lead to our demise.