Vaping around your ts.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
Is it dangerous? I'd assume only if it has nicotine in your "juice" ... Right??

Just figured I'd ask because I just quit smoking after 12 years... Whew glad that's over!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm a die hard cigarette smoker but don't smoke in my room (where i have my T's) nor the home, only in the open. Smoke is very bad for T's and not (DVD/Blu Ray readers, Console optic lens etc).
It's always better to not smoke where T's are IMO.

El Consciente

Arachnopeon
Haha now there's a question you don't see on AB every day :)

Unless you're inundating a small unventilated room with vapor, I don't see how it would be especially hazardous. But in any case, it's probably best to assume they're better off without vaporized tobacco in their breathing space than with.

I don't know how much residual nicotine remains in exhaled vapor, but there is evidence to suggest that spiders (more specifically their web building) are affected by psychoactive substances. Important to note that the researchers used garden spiders and never used passive inhalation of smoke as a means of application, however...

(couldn't access full text to the original studies, but here's a pop-level synopsis) http://priceonomics.com/a-brief-history-of-spiders-on-drugs/

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
Please note Im not vaporizing tabacco Im using a "Juice" that only has three chemicals. Two food grade chimcals and one medical grade (Nicotine) sorry should have said that.

"But what if spiders were to craft their webs under the influence of marijuana? How about cocaine, caffeine or LSD? Luckily, thanks to years of taxpayer-funded research, we have the answers to these important questions."
Thats the funniest thing Ive ever read.!!

Prle

Arachnopeon
I'm a vaper to and I vape in same room where my enclosures are placed. But it's a big room (5m wall to wall) with a good cross ventilation and I didn't notice that vapor haves influence on them. To be honest, I have Ts for the month and a half in total so ... excellent question Tfisher.

But when winter comes I'll vape in the other room, or I'll put my Ts in that room.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
The chemicals vapes use for processing and flavor is what would worry me . I would stay away from vaping around your Ts . Better safe than sorry IMO .

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Please note Im not vaporizing tabacco Im using a "Juice" that only has three chemicals. Two food grade chimcals and one medical grade (Nicotine) sorry should have said that.

"But what if spiders were to craft their webs under the influence of marijuana? How about cocaine, caffeine or LSD? Luckily, thanks to years of taxpayer-funded research, we have the answers to these important questions."
Thats the funniest thing Ive ever read.!!
I would smoke, being you, in another room, no need to take a risk (even if you think there aren't risks and can be right). Chemicals and inverts IMO doesn't mix, no matter.

14pokies

Arachnoprince

Just figured I'd ask because I just quit smoking after 12 years... Whew glad that's over!
Congrats on quiting, good luck! Ever think of trying nicotine gum? Its better for you and your Ts IMO. Its what I used and I don't even think about smoking any more..

Nicotine is a powerful insecticide from what I have been told but unless your hot boxing your T room your spiders should be fine..

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
yeah ive tried nicotine patches and they dont do the trick. This kinda still makes me think im smoking so i slowly decrease my nicotine levels and before you know it im done!

But i enjoy vaping so i think ill just use Juice with no nicotine when im done.

cold blood

Staff member
I mean no offense to those that vape, but I just think it makes a person look absolutely ridiculous. For me you may as well dress like a :clown:

14pokes asked about gum, not a patch:wink:

I just read an article on vaping and it said that while cig smoke can contain 40+ different chemical substances, vapor, because its not actually being burned, contains only 4 or 5.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I mean no offense to those that vape, but I just think it makes a person look absolutely ridiculous. For me you may as well dress like a :clown:

I just read an article on vaping and it said that while cig smoke can contain 40+ different chemical substances, vapor, because its not actually being burned, contains only 4 or 5.
But how many of those chemicals are dangerous to humans and inverts?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
However, rescued (meaning, given to me for free) a female "Chaco" who lived for months in an enviroment where cigarette smoke was the last danger. Poor thing, they smoked every sort of stuff in the room were she was.. weed, chilum, bong etc
She's ok now with me of course.

cold blood

Staff member
they smoked every sort of stuff in the room were she was.. weed, chilum, bong etc
Lol, that's only one thing...weed....bong and chillum are simply devices with which to smoke out of...like a pipe. Its a far less harmful substance than cigs, but still not what I'd go blowin' into the t room. I'm not sure there has been fatality directly related to it by any living thing to tell you the truth.;)

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
I'd err on the side of caution. I don't store any chemicals for anything in my T room either, except for pH neutral glue I use to make hides.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Why pollute the air with something they have not evolved around, plus one can't assume without nicotine that something is safe.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

I think it's an age thing. You see more young people doing it.

That being said, smoking is bad for you, but I'd be a hypocrite if I told you I've never done it myself. However the thread is more about how vapor effects invertebrates, not humans. If people wanna vape let them vape. Personally, I don't think it's as harmful as tobacco smoke, but I still wouldn't wanna take a chance. Might as well just smoke in a different room.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
From an article I read it said if no nicotine is present in the juice, it's been compared to standing in a pine forest. It's nothing but humid air. Some juices are actually naturally made.

cold blood

Staff member
From an article I read it said if no nicotine is present in the juice, it's been compared to standing in a pine forest. It's nothing but humid air. Some juices are actually naturally made.
That was more or less what I had read.