User Vanessa's Photo Thread

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Also happens to be my favourite. What are the chances of that?
My little Cyriocosmus elegans, Emily, would like to wish everyone a Happy Halloween!
:p

Halloween.jpg

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I usually don't mess around with my photos, but I couldn't resist. She is a gorgeous little girl... too bad I hardly ever see her. Cyriocosmus elegans are very reclusive.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Did your pulchripes male mature? If so, how big was he before he molted? I suspect mine might be penultimate.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Did your pulchripes male mature? If so, how big was he before he molted? I suspect mine might be penultimate.
I wasn't able to confirm, because he had the moult for a few days and it was destroyed, but I'm going to say he was pretty close to 5".

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I wasn't able to confirm, because he had the moult for a few days and it was destroyed, but I'm going to say he was pretty close to 5".
Hmm, ok. My guy is barely over 4". He might have one more molt before he's penultimate.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Out of curiosity, what camera/lens do you use to photograph these guys? I have a few years of experience with macro photography, but adult tarantulas are much, much larger than my usual subjects, so I'm debating what system to use to shoot them. Thanks.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Out of curiosity, what camera/lens do you use to photograph these guys? I have a few years of experience with macro photography, but adult tarantulas are much, much larger than my usual subjects, so I'm debating what system to use to shoot them. Thanks.
I have a Sony A57. I have a Sony 50mm macro lens and a Tamron 100mm macro lens. I will normally use the 50mm with the gang because the other one is just way too heavy. I will use it the odd time, but I mostly use that lens for photographing wild insects where I can't get as close to them. I don't use a tripod and I do use the flash.
Some of those photos are spiderlings under 1/2", some are even 1/4", and that is why I just usually use the macro lens for all my photos. I will sometimes use my 35mm f/1.8 or my 50mm f/1.4 for the adults if I want to take some without having that shallow depth of field.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Thanks for the info! I'll experiment with what I have and see what yields the best results.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Wow, it's been two years since I posted to this with updates. How delinquent.

Grammostola actaeon Female
DSC06975-2.jpg
Euathlus parvulus/manicata Mature Male
DSC07051-2.jpg
Aphonopelma seemanni Sub-Adult Female
DSC07063-2-2.jpg
Caribena versicolor Sub-Adult Male
DSC07558-2-2.jpg
Euathlus condorito Spiderling
DSC07570-2.jpg
Pamphobeteus platyomma Juvenile Male
DSC07655-2.jpg
Homoeomma chilensis (formerly Euathlus sp. Red) Mature Male
DSC07664-2.jpg
Avicularia purpurea Juvenile Female
DSC07701-2.jpg
Brachypelma boehmei Sub-Adult Female
DSC07735-2.jpg
Cyriocosmus giganteus Spiderling
DSC07837-2.jpg

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Avicularia avicularia Spiderlings
DSC08614-2.jpg
Pamphobeteus fortis Sub-Adult Female
DSC08787-2.jpg
Acanthoscurria geniculata Sub-Adult Female
DSC08824-2-2.jpg
Cyriocosmus giganteus Spiderling
DSC08886-2.jpg
Avicularia avicularia Spiderling
DSC09239-2.jpg

Brachypelma emilia Juvenile Female
DSC09270-2.jpg
Hapalopus sp. Colombia Large Mature Male
DSC09315-2.jpg
Brachypelma albopilosum Honduras
DSC09526-2.jpg
Pseudhapalopus spinulopalpus Adult Female
DSC09588-2.jpg

Homoeomma chilensis Pairing
DSC09794-2.jpg

Irma

Arachnopeon
Your Brachypelma albopilosum - Sage, looks like my Eupalaestrus campestratus. Nice and cosy burried under the sand and about the same size :)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Your Brachypelma albopilosum - Sage, looks like my Eupalaestrus campestratus. Nice and cosy burried under the sand and about the same size :)
I had to go back to the original post... that was a long time ago. :) Sage went from that tiny spiderling to a 3" juvenile in about 18 months. This is what she looks like today, almost three years later...
DSC05809-2.jpg

Irma

Arachnopeon
Oh wow, that is so cool, I'm sure my Eupalaestrus campestratus will take longer than that to get to that size, I've read that they grow very slow. I've had him longer than
my Grammostola pulchripes and he's only molted one time more than the other one, and is still tiny...

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Oh wow, that is so cool, I'm sure my Eupalaestrus campestratus will take longer than that to get to that size, I've read that they grow very slow. I've had him longer than
my Grammostola pulchripes and he's only molted one time more than the other one, and is still tiny...
Yes, they are slower growing that Brachypelma albopilosum. They are slower than Grammostola pulchripes too. My female Eupalaestrus campestratus has gone from 1/2" to about 4" in three years. It's been about eight months since my girl moulted.
Eupalaestrus campestratus have always had a reputation as being very tolerant, but my girl isn't. I've never seen any type of defensive behaviour, she has never once even kicked hair at me, but she is extremely skittish. That could change as she gets larger, though. I adore her and I remember how thrilled I was when I found out Calypso was female.
DSC02909-2.jpg