Vaejovis spinigerus

Stoffe

Arachnopeon
Hi

I have a Vaejovis spinigerus that dont eat, I've had it for about 4 months now and it has only eaten once.
It looks healthy, should I be worried or shoud I just wait for it to start eating?
Its about 1 inch long with the tail.

Thanks for the help!

Patcho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's Hoffmanius spinigerus now. :)

---------- Post added 12-22-2013 at 06:49 PM ----------

Also, I don't know what you have going on in your setup, but try bumping the heat and leaving her alone for a while to keep the stress down. That's my rule of thumb.

Stoffe

Arachnopeon
I have tried changing the substrate, when I got it i had it on sand mixed with plantation soil, but when it didint eat i removed sand, but still it didn't eat. The temperature is about 20-22C, I have a hide and a waterbowl. What should I change?

KDiiX

Arachnobaron
I have tried changing the substrate, when I got it i had it on sand mixed with plantation soil, but when it didint eat i removed sand, but still it didn't eat. The temperature is about 20-22C, I have a hide and a waterbowl. What should I change?
The temperature is to low to allow a normal metabolism. For a winter season its ok, but then they won't eat a lot. In summer the temperature should be higher. In summer saison the temperature should be local around 35ºC and at least around 25-28 ºC in the colder corners. Scorpions are cold-blooded which means they need a external heat source to keep the metabolism at a certain stage otherwise they won't be very active and won't eat much or nothing.
Btw you removed the sand? That means you keep the scorpion on pure plantation soil? It's ok as long as you keep the humidity relative low and only raise it a bit seasonal. But pure sand or a sand clay mix would be the most natural. But you can also find a lots of informations on the substrate, climate etc of their natural habitats like the sonoran desert.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's cold right now in their native range. Low temperatures in Arizona's low deserts is around 45 F or 6-7 C. Winter is also just getting started. It will be much colder in Jan or Feb. All that being said, this time of year they are not eating very much.

Stoffe

Arachnopeon
Okay thanks for all the answers!
If i got this right, I should add the sand again and let the temperature be but around march i will turn the temperature up.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Substrate really isnt important with this species. Just use whatever substrate you like, but do provide a flat stone they can scrape under to take shelter. IMO, the substrate should not be bone-dry. [edit- Dont mist though. just soak a corner to stop it from drying out completely)

They arent restricted to desert regions, they can be found clear into alpine zones, and areas with higher rainfall amounts. In recent years, a massive chunk of southern arizona's climate is now no longer considered desert, many small regions have been re-classified as thornscrub, and are far more similar to southern california's inland coastal scrub and chaparral.

In arizona, i'd find them allllll the way on the top of Mt lemmon, much to my frustration.. In an area that should've been swarming with diplocentrus, all I could find were spinigerus..

FluffyTheSpider

Arachnopeon
How often do you feed them tho is so how big compared to the scorpion cause I have been looking for a small beginner scorpion and aggressiveness is not a matter so yeah I won’t be handling it I will get it in a couple of months

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
How often do you feed them tho is so how big compared to the scorpion cause I have been looking for a small beginner scorpion and aggressiveness is not a matter so yeah I won’t be handling it I will get it in a couple of months
The thread is over 5 years old.