Vaejovis spinigerus babies

moosehooks

Arachnopeon
I read care sheets about this species before purchasing one back in April, and I noticed that 2-2.5" seemed to be the norm for their mature size. The one I have is not even 1" from head to tail, but that didn't stop her from popping out of her cork last night with a back full of babies. They appear to be about 1/8" or less with their tails curled up over them.

I couldn't really get a good shot of her from above, so I had to go through the plastic. For reference, she's in a Betta container about as wide as the top of a 16oz. SOLO cup. And man, the flash made the water spots on the plastic look awful.

I never saw this coming, given her size and the fact that she didn't get noticeably thicker. I'm confused about her size, but happy nonetheless!

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That two inches should include tail length. Perhaps though if she is so tiny it is another species. Congratulations in any case.

moosehooks

Arachnopeon
Bigboy said:
That two inches should include tail length. Perhaps though if she is so tiny it is another species. Congratulations in any case.
Yeah, she's under and inch including the tail. I think you're probably right about it being a different species, since she and her babies could sit comfortably on a penny, with room to spare. She doesn't have the tail stripes that I've seen on others, but I just always thought she was very young and hadn't grown/developed enough yet.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
heh, don't worry... i think spinis specialize in confusing

i thought mine was a male... until she was covered in babies.

then i changed my mind =P

and like bigboy said, pretty much everyone measures scorps from their face to the end of their extended tail. i personally don't count the telson (stinger) though... just the five segments of the tail

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
moosehooks said:
Yeah, she's under and inch including the tail. I think you're probably right about it being a different species, since she and her babies could sit comfortably on a penny, with room to spare. She doesn't have the tail stripes that I've seen on others, but I just always thought she was very young and hadn't grown/developed enough yet.
holy cow!

that is tiny!

i hope that the young make it to the trading/selling forum one day :)

moosehooks

Arachnopeon
The mother is still in hiding, but the babies have started running around on their own. I wish I could get a decent picture, but digital cameras hate me. There's a bunch of them in the shot, you can kinda see their bodies...

They're tiny and awesome. I've been throwing pinheads in with them, and they seem to be disappearing. I've also put some cricket parts in there, but it's impossible to tell if they've been eating any of that.

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'm able to make them out
wondering if they actually Vaejovis confusus

the ones that get confused as V. spini's but are a bit smaller
i don't think ANY of mine are that small though
the only Vaejovids I have that size are V. crassimanus (not what you have) and S. gertschi, which would be your next likely suspect (as judging by your top pics).

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Quick fix, probably could do better, but I can see scorps on this one ;P

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
John Bokma said:

Quick fix, probably could do better, but I can see scorps on this one ;P

that is so awesome!

i seriously love the tiny scorps!

we should have a contest for the pic of the smallest scorp, both mature and babies :)