1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vacuum sealed canisters for enclosures?

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by Jokesonmeow, May 3, 2018.

1. Jokesonmeow

Jokesonmeow Arachnopeon

FL
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Razzledazzy

Razzledazzy Arachnopeon Active Member

Yeah, I'm not sure they would latch shut in the way they're meant to? There are some similar things at target that don't vacuum seal and might work better. Like a lower end food canister with a rubber seal instead of a vacuum seal. But the best way to find out is to try it and see. That plastic might also be difficult to burn through. It's very thick. You might be better off taping and drilling with an acrylic bit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nutcracker

Nutcracker Arachnopeon

Dallas
    If there ventilation holes in the sides you can not put a vacuum with that lid. To pull a vacuum would would need a pump that can evacuate the air faster that the ventilation holes can pass. I have been using them for a little while without issue.

The container I use is a Felli which is a similar type. The lid slightly compresses and expands the silicon seal by pushing it out. The force outward and friction hold the lid just fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. EulersK

EulersK Arachnumerical Staff Member

I haven't used those containers exactly, but I've used those types before. The issue is that many of these vacuum sealed containers rely on the vacuum to actually stay closed. After I drilled holes, the lid just slip right off... which makes it useless.

If there is a Smart & Final near you, go there. You'll be overwhelmed by the choices if plastic containers.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. chanda

chanda Arachnoangel Active Member

Yes, burning ventilation holes would prevent them from vacuum sealing - good for not suffocating your pets, but maybe not so good for security? I wonder just how well those lids stay on, without that vacuum seal to suction them down onto the container? I'd be afraid of the lids coming off too easily - either accidentally being knocked ajar or being pushed aside by an escape-minded pet.

Also, $50 bucks isn't exactly cheap. It seems like there are a lot of other clear plastic or acrylic containers, with better lids, in a broad range of sizes and configurations, that might be more suitable - and probably cheaper. (Edit: just realized you'd said you already have a bunch of these, so never mind on that concern. If you've got 'em I reckon it doesn't hurt to try drilling one of them and see how it goes - just exercise caution until you know how well the lids stay on without the vacuum seal to keep them in place.)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jokesonmeow

Jokesonmeow Arachnopeon

FL
    Hello friends! I did some experimenting! I don’t know if this is enough ventilation for an arboreal, but that lid latches like normal! So I’m not sure if it’s really vacuumed sealed at all. I dont know if I’m going to put my avic avic in here but I know the enclosure I got her is just way too big right now. It’s stressing me out...

22A6B1C9-CEBD-451E-9C44-BC4255A29032.jpeg 2DAD2E60-735E-4533-8272-8575B4A830F8.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  7. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnoknight Active Member

That is plenty of ventilation. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Nutcracker

Nutcracker Arachnopeon

Dallas
    I like the look of a lot of the 'vacuum' containers and I think that aesthetically looks great. I do not have enough experience to say if that is enough ventilation but I am sure someone who does will chime in.

ETA: dangerforceidle beat me to posting the reply.

• Like Like x 1
  9. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

You have a tardis on your forearm:woot:.....coolest tat ever!!:cool:

Enclosure looks well ventilated, too.;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Razzledazzy

Razzledazzy Arachnopeon Active Member

Wait a second I've seen this exact tattoo. And you're from Florida. And I'm from Florida.... Hello???? Do I know you? Did we both go to UF? This is going to bother me for literally ever until you get back to me.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

Ah ah ah, canisters. Such a bizarre word.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnosquire Active Member

Particularly in the context of munitions.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Jokesonmeow

Jokesonmeow Arachnopeon

FL
    Hehehe. Thanks! I have Iron Man on my other arm. Little bit of a geek.

• Like Like x 1
  14. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

The Doctor is far far cooler....he out smarts the daleks afterall:D

• Like Like x 1
  15. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

What thought were you attempting to convey???

Color me crazy, but a hole in the container won't have a seal. I know it sounds like absolute craziness.

16. Mvtt70

Mvtt70 Arachnobaron Active Member

They work just like any other container. The lid will still stay in place and with ventilation holes in the sides it'll work fine.

17. StampFan

StampFan Arachnoknight Active Member

18. Jokesonmeow

Jokesonmeow Arachnopeon

FL
    I put my juvenile avicularia avicularia in there.