V. Carolinianus and V. Cunfusus care

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
I am going to buy a V. Carolinianus and V. Confusus soon and I would like some tips on how to care for them. Obviously I'm not going to house them in the same enclosure. What kinda substrate would be best for both species? What kind of humidity does V. Carolinianus need? I've aready read about the humidity needs for V. confusus. Temperatures, decor, and anything else that I may need to know. I have some experience with arachnids. I know when, how, and what to feed them. I also know they prefer to be in the dark. I'm pretty sure V. Confusus is fine with room temp and V. Carolinianus should be fine in room temp too. I am currently working with H. Spinifer. That's where most of my first hand experience comes from. I have caught a V. Carolinianus before. And I know a little about it.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Both are neat little native communal scorpions. Both have completely different environments.
V car- Ecoearth leaf litter and flat bark. Higher humidity requirements but not soaking wet. Don't keep them completely in the dark but allow for a natural day/night cycle for both species.
V con- bone dry desert style with deep sand/clay mix and flat rock or bark to promote a burrow. Room temp in the 70's is fine and no extra heat source needed. Keep well fed and ample space to minimize cannibalism.

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
I accidently bought ground english walnut shells instead of sand. It looks just like sand. Is this still fine to use. It's the Zilla desert blend.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I've heard debates over the use of walnut shells recently.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
I accidently bought ground english walnut shells instead of sand. It looks just like sand. Is this still fine to use. It's the Zilla desert blend.
English walnut shells arent as bad as black walnut shells but both do contain juglone which is toxic to many animals and plants. Some say theyve never seen any issues with it but anything that is toxic to the majority of living things - id think wouldnt be a good choice. I had issues with it after only having it with 1 scorpion in it for a short period of time Play sand is cheap and even though it has negative affects on you ( dont breathe the fine dust in) it seems perfectly fine for scorpions

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
Ok I guess I have to find some sand or maybe use eco earth. I did a little bit of extra research to see the controversy first hand and most people say yes it's toxic. I have some orange sand that was bought for me years ago when I had my bearded dragon but, I'm not sure if it's still good because it's been used and it's been in a trash bag. I mainly don't like the color because I would prefer a more natural look.

RemyZee

Arachnosquire
I’ve also recently been gifted 8 V Carolinianus scorplings. These things are so tiny! Most seem to be eating, though. Has anyone had issues getting tiny scorplings to eat? I’ve been giving prekilled or injured, as all but two seem to be afraid of live prey.