1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UV wave length Scorpions

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by MrMatt, Feb 8, 2005.

1. MrMatt

MrMatt Arachnoknight Old Timer

Advertisement
    Does anyone know at what wave length scorpions fluoresce? Will they still show a good 'glow' in the 395-410nm range?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. fusion121

fusion121 Arachnoking Old Timer

UK
    Scorpions flourese between about 275nm-450nm, so the 395-410nm would cause flouresence, but the intensity might be quite low.

3. SpaceHawk

SpaceHawk Arachnoknight Old Timer

MrMatt needs a shirt on.... :confused: :clap: ....no offense, but seriously.

4. MrMatt

Then I guess you better not look here ;P

Quick avert your eyes.
    :8o

5. Kugellager

Kugellager ArachnoJester Arachnosupporter

I have heard that the peak wavelength for scorpion fluorescence is around 360-370nm(365?)...though I can't recall for the life of me where I saw it...maybe Dave remembers?

John
    ];')

6. fusion121

fusion121 Arachnoking Old Timer

UK
    It varies depending on species, peak excitiaton occurs at 365nm in P. imperator, 360nm in C. vittatus (another is shifted by a bit more but I can't remember what it was) but 365nm is going to give you basicaslly maximum fluorescence, there are several papers on a few species.

7. Ythier

Ythier Arachnoprince Old Timer

... here ?

8. Ythier

Ythier Arachnoprince Old Timer

...but range (distance) is more in important with 395 than 365 no ?
    Anyway, I don't understand very well these things, but I bought a Xenopus 395nm and scorpions fluoresce very well :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Kugellager

The field collecting lamps dave and I made last year peaked at 405nm and worked very well. We could observe scorpions (C.vittatus/exilicauda and V.spinigerus) fluorescing out to more than 25ft(7.5m). The advantage of having the 405nm we believe was to allow more visible light with which to see rattle snakes. :eek:

John
    ];')

10. mimic58

mimic58 Arachnobaron

Will the regular 6inch black light fluresnt tubes works ? , You know the kind they use to check money with

11. MrMatt

Thanks for the link Ythier,

mimic, the tubes work fine except I usually end up with a sore back. The range on them is short and I end up having to walk hunched over.

12. SpaceHawk

You can usually find good lights either online or at party supply stores. you are right about the tubes though, it sucks having to hunch over. I had back surgery a year or so ago and it sucks looking for scorps with a tube!

13. SpaceHawk

what did you make it out of?

14. Kugellager