Usumbara behavior

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My 4 inch Usumbara makes a web hammock in one of the corners of his cage everyday and basically sits in it motionless all day. At night it then destryos this and runs around nonstop and then when morning comes it will make a new hammock. I hear these guys are crazy webbers but mine isnt at all unless it is gonna molt. It webs a tiny bit and then destroys it everday. Has anybody else seen this behavior? Also a question, mine eats like mad and never gets fatter. It always looks thin. What is up with that?

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Are you sure you don't have a mature male? Sounds like mature male behavior to me.....

Scott

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by JacenBeers
My 4 inch Usumbara makes a web hammock in one of the corners of his cage everyday and basically sits in it motionless all day. At night it then destryos this and runs around nonstop and then when morning comes it will make a new hammock. I hear these guys are crazy webbers but mine isnt at all unless it is gonna molt. It webs a tiny bit and then destroys it everday. Has anybody else seen this behavior? Also a question, mine eats like mad and never gets fatter. It always looks thin. What is up with that?
That is awesome! I should be getting my usambara s'ling in the mail today or tomorrow. I hope it turns out to be really active and does coos stuff like that!

Big Dragonfly

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
after your slings make a web home, it's not going to be active and it's going to stay inside it's home until you put a cricket in there and then you could see part of it's legs... I think during the night time, they come out and play. mine molted last week.. looks bigger....

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That sounds like male behavior, have you checked it for tibial spurs?

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If its running around like mad at night, yes I agree it sounds like a mature male desperately looking for a female before its clock hits the final strike of midnight.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am absolutely sure it isnt a male. He might be but he isnt mature yet. THere are no modified pedipalps and no tibial spurs at all. it is still quite small. Maybe a molt or to away from maturity I would guess.