Using Reptile Heat Mats for T's

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
I don't think they are attracted to the heat mat. I think it's that a tarantula's instinct is to burrow deeper if it's too warm for them to get to cooler substrate. But if there's a heat mat at the bottom then the deeper they go the warmer it is instead and you end up with a cooked tarantula. That's why if you do use a heat mat then putting it against the side of the enclosure is better but still not recommended
Wasn't referring to a heat mat directly underneath a enclosure. I am aware of the consequences of that. I didn't use the word heat mat for a reason. I know I'm not the only one who has seen tarantulas move closer to heat like lamps or other sources of heat. Also I don't need extra heat at the moment, but I have been reading plenty of recommendations on here if I did. What was stated was already stated earlier on this thread and probably 2000 other times.

Last edited:

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
Wasn't referring to a heat mat directly underneath a enclosure. I am aware of the consequences of that.
Oh right sorry. Well I think the answer is because they are cold blooded creatures. They can't regulate body temp so if they are cold they move to the warmer spots and vice versa. I don't think they are as drawn to heat to where they actually kill themselves over it though.