Using “African Root”?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
So local pet store started carrying a bunch of wood labeled just as African Root. I picked a bunch up cause it was fairly cheap and though I could make it work in a few new enclosures. I think it’s for aquariums as they carry a lot fish there. But I’m not sure I didn’t ask.

Has anyone heard of this stuff or any experience using it? Does it mold in enclosures with moisture in it? I put it in two dry juvenile enclosures so I know it’s fine there. I tried searching for African root but didn’t find much. It’s fairly heavy super hard and dense.
B87C1931-729E-47C3-9300-86FBE2B49CFA.jpeg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So local pet store started carrying a bunch of wood labeled just as African Root. I picked a bunch up cause it was fairly cheap and though I could make it work in a few new enclosures. I think it’s for aquariums as they carry a lot fish there. But I’m not sure I didn’t ask.

Has anyone heard of this stuff or any experience using it? Does it mold in enclosures with moisture in it? I put it in two dry juvenile enclosures so I know it’s fine there. I tried searching for African root but didn’t find much. It’s fairly heavy super hard and dense.
View attachment 350326

I've used for herps, and it didn't mold on me. Cork still the best though. It is definitely dense. Reminds me of ironwood

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I've used for herps, and it didn't mold on me. Cork still the best though. It is definitely dense. Reminds me of ironwood
Okay cool thanks! Good to know!
yeah unfortunately I can’t find cork in person near me. I gotta place an order one of these days

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
I have used this wood too in both of my enclosures. They are both dry (GBB and B. hamorii), so no clue when it would start to mold. What I did observe is that the wood can be rather sharp and pointy. No big deal in a fish tank, I guess. Before putting it in, I sanded the really sharp edges down a bit and carved the nastiest points away - just in case. Stuff looks great in the enclosures.

20200530_103906.jpg

(edit): photo of C. cyaneopubescens on wood deleted. Didn't see in the thumbnail it was totally overexposed

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I have used this wood too in both of my enclosures. They are both dry (GBB and B. hamorii), so no clue when it would start to mold. What I did observe is that the wood can be rather sharp and pointy. No big deal in a fish tank, I guess. Before putting it in, I sanded the really sharp edges down a bit and carved the nastiest points away - just in case. Stuff looks great in the enclosures.

View attachment 350355

(edit): photo of C. cyaneopubescens on wood deleted. Didn't see in the thumbnail it was totally overexposed
Okay awesome thanks!! It looks really good In the B. hamorii enclosure! I too put a small piece in my juv C. cyaneopubescens enclosure!

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
For those who are interested: I took a quick look around the internet. The tree seems to be called Colophospermum mopane. As far as I can see, it is a tree with many useful qualities. Seems not to be endangered as of now. But you never know... demand seems to be rising.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For those who are interested: I took a quick look around the internet. The tree seems to be called Colophospermum mopane. As far as I can see, it is a tree with many useful qualities. Seems not to be endangered as of now. But you never know... demand seems to be rising.

Nice find! It works great for reptiles, for them I've used it often.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Just used a small piece in a new Caribena versicolor enclosure and it worked very well. Little piece was also cheaper than cork bark that I would have had to buy a bunch online. Gave a nice authentic African look to the enclosure :troll:
IMG_1394.JPG