1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

urticating hairs-reaction times

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by jlynn859, Jul 14, 2019.

1. VanessaS

VanessaS Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    You feel that an acceptable solution is to punish an animal with death, because a person failed to responsibly safeguard other animals in the home? And I'm sure that you consider yourself logical too. :rolleyes:
    When an animal injures, or kills, another animal in your home - the only one responsible is the person who failed to do what was necessary to ensure the well being of their animals. Blaming the animal for doing what is instinctual is irrational and just simply stupid.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Love Love x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  2. PrimalxTyrantula

PrimalxTyrantula Arachnosquire Active Member

B.C.
    Honestly there was no logic to it other then the fact the cat is stupid enough to do such things then chase a t across a room to be beaten to death. At least an obt would put up a fight and you'd learn a valuable lesson as to why to safeguard your animals. This isn't the first time a stupid cat has knocked an entire collection down or batted at a cage because it seen the spooder. My fuckin dog knows better. This is the kind of shit that aggrivates me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnoangel Arachnosupporter

I used to have zero reaction, now it only takes a minute or so before I start itching. And depending on the spider, the itching lasts a few days to a week or longer.

That T is definitely in premolt. I would like to add that it looks like it might need a bit more substrate in the enclosure.

@PrimalxTyrantula, I get that you're frustrated, but do keep in mind that there's a policy against offensive language on this forum. I would hate to see you getting in trouble for something as trivial as poor word choice

4. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

You're really lucky your tarantula didn't die in the crash to the floor. My cat is a ragdoll cat. Everyone on the planet should own one. They are big and slow and lovably dumb and have literally less than 0 prey drive. ;) Or alternatively try bungie cord ties against the wooden/metal shelving unit so this cannot happen again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. jlynn859

jlynn859 Arachnopeon

I know! I thought for certain my T would die after falling 4 ft but she didn’t. Thankfully. Your right, she does need more substrate I was getting ready to move her to an actual tank but since she’s getting ready to molt I’ll wait to move her or add more for the moment. Lol I like the bungie cord idea may have to try that.

6. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnodemon Active Member

Actually - Cat vs OBT - cat wins most of the time. T's are fast by human standards, not cat standards. And T's aren't very durable, a few good smacks from those cat claws and your obt is leaking fluid all over the place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. PrimalxTyrantula

PrimalxTyrantula Arachnosquire Active Member

B.C.
    I apologize for the outburst. I'll try not to be so quick next time.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

It's usually a few hours after exposure before I really start itching.

You keep your face out of range.

She is in heavy pre-molt.

9. jlynn859

jlynn859 Arachnopeon

Thanks y’all have been helpful