Uropygi Information

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks, no i cant, i got it at a bug show and cant remember who it was from or what it was :(

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maarten, as far as I know it is not any amblypygids known from China but just recently one species discovered in the south (don't know the details yet).
As for the ID of this one it is wise to wait untill Jeremy will find time to look into the thread.
So, keep Your eyes opened and please, make some nice shots of shinisaurus if You'll be lucky enough to observe any ;)
Hm.. We'll see. I also cave so who knows what I can find down thar... ;)

Shinisaurus? :confused:

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Today I saw one whilst driving my motorcycle almost right in the city in the early evening. It was completely missing its whip and it still reeked of vinegar. I brought it home and it viciously attacked a mealworm, ripping it in half. I suppose they don't use those as much as I would think, as I have seen others with partially amputated whips.

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have experimented a little and both juveniles and young adults can be kept communally (At least this species). I have one terrarium with two adults and one with 8 juveniles right now.

In the one with the young adults I added clay soil from the location I collected them from with one end of the terrarium at 4cm and the other at 9.5cm. I also added a live type of bright green "moss" that grows vertical spirals and cool-looking layered rocks (Shale, I think) and have created an elaborate tunnel system with one entrance and they have made multiple entrances themselves. When they feel me opening the lid they both dart for the entrances, sometimes to the same one. They show no aggression towards one another.

In the one with the juveniles I added 6cm of clay soil, the rocks, and the "moss", but instead of making a subterranean network I made the soil extra wet and when I put them in they made their own mini burrows and later I let it dry out more. Quite cool, actually. They all have their own little hideouts between the rocks and plants. And they also show no aggression towards each other and feed on the normal-sized meal worms.

Both terrariums are 23cm long X 12.5cm wide X18cm high. The young adults are about 4cm body length and the largest specimens I have seen are about 6 or 6.5cm. The juveniles are about 1cm. Hope this helps. I will post setup photos later.

Jeremy Huff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Maarten,

The genus you have is Typopeltis. The images are of two males (or the same specimen washed off?) If you can get a clear closeup of the pedipalps, I can tell you the species...or, if you send me a pair I can give you a 100% i.d.

Deroplatys - the specimen you have reminds me of a species being bred at Toronto Zoo. It came from a Malaysian dealer, but was collected in Thailand. I suspect what you have is Typopeltis tarnanii.

Jeremy

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wouw, thanks. I will post some more pics, as I have no ideas about customs over here, yet. I am currently trying to breed them from two seperate locations (well over 100k apart). I no longer have the ones in the photos, which were adults. The ones I have at the moment possibly haven't reached adulthood yet, though are of a good size. I'll check the pedipalps and/or try to get some photos. I've had good luck finding these and Scolopendra multidens, so I will begin breeding them. When the offspring produce offspring I will consider to start selling. Is there a market for these?

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just did a quick search and by name only I would say it's Typopeltis guangxiensis, as I found them in north-eastern Guangxi.

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Heres another photo for anyone who`s interested, this is prior to giving birth

Is there anyway to ID them by looking at the hatchlings?
Like say when they moult they are a specific colour?

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I've just returned from another trip. I have brought several specimens back. Apparently these are plentiful, with this being the fourth site at which we found them, and we found nothing else of major interest. Today I brought back one large adult, two adults caught in the act of mating, and a larger juvenile.

I have discovered that as the micro juveniles got bigger they prefered the taste of their own kind over mealworms. Four out of eight survived.

When I arrived home one of the two that had been mating seems to be dead. It was moving its pedipalps near the back of the other one, so I assume that one to be the male. What's strange, though, is that it is larger and more bulkier than its mate.

1) Could the male be bigger and more robust than the female?

2) Could the male die immediately after mating?

I have rearranged and made new setups, adding fresh substrate, rocks, and small vegetation from the collection site and changing who went where.

I now have two small round containers with two juveniles each, one very large container with the two (?) that were mating, one smaller container with two similar-sized smaller adults (That have been getting along fine for over a week), and one smaller container with the big one.

I tried to put the "female" from the mating with the big one, but it chased "her" all around the enclosure so I quickly separated them.

I'll post some pictures of them and the enclosures here over the next several days and try to sex these.

I'm crossing my fingers that the female is gravid after the mating.

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
although your sp and my sp are different, they are both in the same genera...and i have found that females do not harm the males, or babies. cannibalism is very rare in this specie that i keep (T. crucifer) and only occurs if starvation is severe.....even then, the mothers are good and often dont eat the eggs or babies, even when disturbed...but it does happen. i also noticed they are MUCH more sensitive to lack of moisture than food, a dry container here proved fatal after only 2-3 days :eek: didn't make that mistake twice!

males larger? considering how much they are able to eat and how much they expand, i think that (males being more robust) is entirely possible, just based on feeding. but it would be hard to sex them based one one died....do you know the sex?

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
although your sp and my sp are different, they are both in the same genera...and i have found that females do not harm the males, or babies. cannibalism is very rare in this specie that i keep (T. crucifer) and only occurs if starvation is severe.....even then, the mothers are good and often dont eat the eggs or babies, even when disturbed...but it does happen. i also noticed they are MUCH more sensitive to lack of moisture than food, a dry container here proved fatal after only 2-3 days :eek: didn't make that mistake twice!

males larger? considering how much they are able to eat and how much they expand, i think that (males being more robust) is entirely possible, just based on feeding. but it would be hard to sex them based one one died....do you know the sex?
I guessed the sex because the large robust one in the back that was doing all the "work" died shortly after said "work". At least I'm hoping so because I want that female to give birth. ;)

So far I have noticed that they will eat each other if one is much larger than another and the juveniles ate each other like mad. I had 8 and now only 4.. :( Similar sizes, however, can be kept together. At least so far.. I have also heavily misted mine daily.

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
bummer. i kept my babies together for a few months, and watched them feed communally. perhaps just a species thing.

if you get some pics up someone here could sex them for you for sure :)

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
bummer. i kept my babies together for a few months, and watched them feed communally. perhaps just a species thing.

if you get some pics up someone here could sex them for you for sure :)
Oke, right now I'm in the process of setting things up more professionally to breed this species, a species of centipede, and I'm looking for trapdoor spiders and then I will post photographs of all the adult specimens and their enclosures. I am going to release a smaller one and catch one more big one in the hopes of having males and females (I'm sure I do). The babies I'm going to keep and raise to adulthood and see how long it takes. So far they feed voraciously on small mealworms. ;)

Jeremy Huff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Maarten,

It will likely take about 4 years to raise them. They tend to only molt once a year. It would be easier to keep adults. The trick is to just leave them alone. Give them deep substrate to dig in and lots of cover. The more you disturb them, the less likely you will have success.

post picks of adult palps and I will sex them for you.

Jeremy

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maarten,

It will likely take about 4 years to raise them. They tend to only molt once a year. It would be easier to keep adults. The trick is to just leave them alone. Give them deep substrate to dig in and lots of cover. The more you disturb them, the less likely you will have success.

post picks of adult palps and I will sex them for you.

Jeremy
OMG, I just came back home from the forest and I redid all the setups with ferns and dried bamboe leaves, but... forgot to take their pictures before putting them back in.. I'll find a way, though...

I just let go a larger juvenile and found two more adults. I am keeping two small adults and four juveniles to raise to the next generation. I now have four adults and one super adult (massive). I have been collecting them at various locations to get a good mixed gene pool. Now I'm satisfied that I have a good breeding base to start, assuming that I have both males and females. ;) (We'll find out soon)

How do breeders keep them genetically stable? Do they have to keep bringing in WC to mix with the CB? Or is it different for invertebrates and it doesn't matter so much?

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oke, here they are, ze coveted photos!!!

(Note: Several are muddy because I had just redone the enclosures. The natural colour is as the first and third)

These are my five adult specimens (Sorry for the low quality - too much foliage in thar):

These two are together:

And these two:

The biggest one is evil and thus alone:

Habitat:

Other:

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i don think i can sex them, so i wont say anything lol.

as for keeping them stable, to be honest i think 99% you see sold are wild caught, and they are so seldom truly captive bred (many may have babies in captivity, but didn't breed in captivity) i doubt it matters.

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I will be the first, then. :cool:

This will be the first species I breed this year, along with Scolopendra multidens, and either trapdoor spiders or something else I find near the Vietnamese border next week.

Jeremy Huff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
First photo is a female, 2nd is a male, 3rd and 4th are males, and 5th is a female.

Watch that you don't have multiple species. Collecting them from great distance apart may mean you get 2 or 3 species. Although, China is poor in thelyphonid diversity, so chances are they are all the same.

Jeremy