Uropygi Information

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
is the fourth one a cage with plants? are those roots? happen to have a full enclosure photo?

Is that magazine available singly? i will take a look and see what its about :) thanks!

EDIT: for some reason i cannot edit my first post...anyone know why? i can edit others. anyway i wanted to add links to the first one to keep it organised. her eit is anyway.

This one has some pics and such, but its in spanish. http://www.bloobook.net/browse/arachnida.php?lg=es

not too usefull but provides some info on new chinese sp. http://www.wanfangdata.com.cn/qikan/periodical.Articles/dwfl/dwfl2000/0003/000309.htm

Whipscorpions (Arachnida, Thelyphonida) from Africa http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/dspace/bitstream/2246/2732/1/N2526.pdf

Last edited:

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well great news for me today! my T. crucifer eggs hatched!!! its 2 am and no signs of any sleep...here is a picture, also check my other thread on these guys. i am pumped!!!

They took around 16 days to hatch at a temp of around 25-27 during the day and down to about 20c at night. This female had not dug out a hide despite being in the container for over 2 months.

Last edited:

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ganoderma,

Fist of all congrats!:clap: I can't believe it was only 16 days, that seems really quick, but it is a tropical species so that may play a big part.

The fourth picture of mine is the babies hanging from the roof of the cork which she made her burrow around. The whips/flagella are what are hanging down.

Usually the magazine comes as a subscription but it maybe sold individually. Check at http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/elytraandantenna/.

Thanks,
mike

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes it was quick i was very surprised as well. they were laid on October 29th. hatch date was November 13th. counting both days that’s 16 days. Now the question is how long till they shed? how long till they separate from the mother and how long till maturity. anyone know? i am starting to second guess the species ID. T. crucifer in one paper i read says the type specimen was from Thailand, but other sources say Taiwan and china. I am wondering if perhaps there is an identification problem? anyone know where i can find keys to the specie level? I didn’t think that crucifer had that big a range. i am wondering if perhaps they are T. stimpsoni?

Jeremy Huff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi All,

I just saw the thread and think it is great to get more info out on these animals.

About the identity of the Typopeltis, if you have a close-up photo of the palps of the male, I could identify it. I will go through my papers to see what the defining characteristics are for the group. If they are from Taiwan though, they are crucifer. T. stimpsoni is from Japan and a few small islands off the southern tip.

The two photos I took to show sexing were Typopeltis crucifer (I think, it was a while ago), but they could have been Thelyphonus...

I have found sand with a little peat to be the best substrate because the like to burrow and damp sand can easily be burrowed into. For M. giganteus I have kept them in large gallon or 2 gallon jars with an angled piece of bark that goes all the way to the bottom. Then I add the sand/peat mix (80/20) and bury the bark. The animal will burrow down and under the bark when they have fully eaten enough for the winter. In every case, I could easily see their chamber through the bottom of the jar. They would plug the burrow and stay down for 5-7 months. Gravid females would lay and eggs hatch and nymphs moult all underground. Only then will they come up to feed. Another interesting thing I found was that after one year the first instars had their first moult. 80 of them shed within two days of each other and they were all in seperate containers.

A bit about longevity - from Justin Schmidt's work with M. giganteus
There are 4 immature stages and on the fith they are mature. It is 1 year per stage, so adults are 4 years old and can live upto another 4 years, but usually only 2 years. In the wild, Justin has found that they have no predators to speak of and die of old age.

For anyone interested I am volunteering/working in Lorenzo Prendini's lab at the American Museum of Natural History. I have done several fieldtrips for arachnids and on our website there are photo logs of many of our trips. You can see many uropygid photos there.
http://scorpion.amnh.org/

Jeremy

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow great info! i will have more questions surely!

about T. stimpsoni . the reason i mentioned them is because i was wondering how far south they actually went. i was thinking it could be possible for them to reach down here? just a thought...any opinions.

Jeremy Huff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Typopeltis crucifer/stimpsonii

T. stimpsonii is distributed from Kyushu in the north to Izena (northern extreme of Okinawa) in the south

T. crucifer is from Taiwan and the Ryukyu Islands as far north as Iheya in northern Okinawa

I don't see anything in the literature about the 2 species being sympatric although they come close.

Hope this helps

Jeremy

Jeremy Huff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Philippine

Kahoy,

In regards to your question about various Philippine species. Thelyphonus pugnator is now Mimoscorpius pugnator. The Philippines was an erroneus locality. They are actually from Guatemala. I went there this summer and collected specimens, including the first females recorded. You can see a photo at scorpion.amnh.org under the field trip section and Guatemala. The male is very interesting. I am working on a paper with a couple other guys at this time which will have some great photos of the male and female.

Glyptogluteus is only known from Panay Island and only from a single male and a juvenile. I would love some if you can ever get any.

Hope this helps
Jeremy

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We are going to the philippenes for a couple weeks most likely next year. do you have any tips or pointers on locations. I am very interested in photographing various arachnids.

It seems they have a few sp. I find the species from there a little confusing as far as classification goes though, do you have any suggested reading on the subject? specifically SE asias islands.

Jeremy Huff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Gandoderma -

The only recent work on Asian uropygi has been done by Dr. Joaquim Haupt

Revision of East Asian whip scorpions (Arachnida Uropygi Thelyphonida). I. China and Japan
J Haupt, D Song - Arthropoda Selecta, 1996
AND
Revision of East Asian whip scorpions (Arachnida Uropygi Thelyphonida) II. Thailand and adjacent …
J Haupt - ARTHROPODA SELECTA, 1996
Both of these papers are in the same issue. They deal mainly with the genus Typopeltis.

In 1973, Dr. Mark Rowland did 3 papers on uropygids. One of which was on the Philippines. This is the paper he described Glyptogluteus.

In talking to collectors in the Philippines, you can commonly find them under piles of palm fronds and also in mammal holes where they will live in groups. I have heard of areas in SE Asia where you can't avoid stepping on them at night. I am sure this is only during certain times of year. I know in New Mexico, when it rains or when watering a lawn, M. giganteus will climb a few inches off the ground on the sides of houses and you can also find them on sidewalks after a rain. We found Mimoscorpius pugnator inside rotton logs and in Agouti and Armadillo holes. Also check tree trunks at night, especially at the base.

Hope this helps
Jeremy

Jeremy Huff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That is the site. Check if they have a reprint. If not, I can try to scan my copy and send it to you.

Jeremy

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Excellent thanks a ton! It says they sell them so I e-mailed. If I cant order it I'll let you know. Thanks again. Nice to start finding some better information about these animals!

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
More good news! the second female hatched out her young! It was truely amazing as i got to watch them hatch this time! talk about good timing! Trust em i really tried to get some good pictures of the hatching process but i failed. i did not want her to get stressed. Although she was already eating babies when i found her :( even if i loose them all i feel very happy about being able to witness them hatching! this one took 21 days to hatch. they were "laid" on November 07 2006 and hatched today, November 27 2006. Enough talk here is the only pictures i got that were even half decent....the jars are covered in dirt, so trust me it wasn't easy...

Eggs that were dropped for some very odd reason...But you can see them starting to come out.

the hungry mother with her meals.

My attempt at getting a picture of them hatching. you can see them hatching if you look hard enough. sorry.

Anyway i am super excited. i will likely loose more sleep tonight. i love watching baby animals emerge!

rex_arachne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
excellent photographs Ganoderma. did the female eat all her offspring? none survived?

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are still hatching right now (11 pm taiwan time). i am leaving her completely alone for a few days in hopes she will stop.... i hope she stops, but in reality a got another 40+ from the other female. i am very anxious for them to become 2nd instar so that i can take a look see at the mom and see how her plumbing looks.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hi!, there are commonly found on log litters, mostlikely near on rivers, also try to look at nearby trees ar ponds and swamps, and if you are lucky you can find a lot on dead bamboo, they seek refugie on the hollow stems of bamboo, and since where bamboo lives is humid, there is a big chance of finding plenty of them.

most of the locations where we go are at panay, cebu, negros, upper luzon

i wonder if you can look at the unexplored terrains of mindanao, there are a lot of unusual inverts on mindanao like the golden stagbeetle, unfortunately there are a some terrorists that hide at the mountains.