1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uropygi Information

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Ganoderma, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Elytra and Antenna

Elytra and Antenna Arachnoking Old Timer

USA
    Advertisement
    The is probably the only complete compendium of vinegaroon information ever assembled in any language: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1616462205 There are also over 250 photos including SEMs.

2. Very nice job, Orin. I need to get a copy of this.

3. Ganoderma

Ganoderma Arachnobaron

Anyone noticed couples protecting each other or their home? Normally I see them run but recently I saw a pair that was defending their burrow to the death. Interesting the female was also defending the male and cover his body repeatedly. Anyonevwitnessed this amongst the family, or random occurrence? I've noted that the females are quite good mothersa s well.

This is typopeltis crucifer in Taiwan

Bad picture, will look for others on hard drive later
    http://biotataiwan.org/images/Typopeltis-crucifer3.jpg

4. Spleenslitta

Spleenslitta Arachnopeon

Norway
    I'm looking for some quite specific info about Vinegaroon and Amblypygis and this seems to be the right place to ask.
    I know about the most common info on both species but there are a few things i just cannot find.
    I saw the PDF files in the original post but they are textwalls written in scientific terms that i can barelly translate since english is not my first language.

Question 1: Which type of chelicerae do vinegaroons have? Jacknife, scissors or those 3-segmented chelate chelicerae mentioned on wiki?
    If you got any close up pics or videos of those chelicerae lying around that would be great. The amblypygis seem to have the jacknife type.

Question 2: Do any of the amblypygi or vinegaroon types have better vision or a unique ability that sets them apart from the rest of their familytree?

These questions might seem trivial but it's surprisingly important for me and you would save me from trawling the internet for days since there is so little information
    on these creatures in comparison to spiders.
    Thank you in advance.

5. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoangel Active Member

Don't know about vinegaroon chelicerae, but I believe both groups have very poor vision, amounting to the ability to see changes in ambient light, if anything. I'm pretty sure there are no exceptions to that latter rule.

6. Spleenslitta

Spleenslitta Arachnopeon

Norway
    Thanks Schmiggle. I found some tiny tiny vinegaroons with some more abilities but sadly not what i was looking for.
    The big question is the type chelicerae they have though. Been trawling youtube for days looking for a good close up pic but no luck so far.

7. schmiggle

I'm thinking jacknife. See this picture:
    [​IMG]
    I know it isn't super clear, but I think it's clear enough to see that the chelicerae are certainly not the scissor variety and probably not the three-jointed variety.

Edit: definitely jacknife. See the following, in particular the section regarding chelicerae:
    http://lanwebs.lander.edu/faculty/rsfox/invertebrates/thelyphonus.html

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  8. schmiggle

By the way, I don't really know what you mean by a "unique ability," but many phrynus species need prey toward their pedipalps using their antenniform legs.

9. Spleenslitta

Spleenslitta Arachnopeon

Norway
    Thank you Schmiggle. I finally got the answer i was looking for and the final touch on the maincharacter in my novel can finally be decided. Hopefully my novel can put a bit of food on my table someday in the future.
    I was hopefull for scissor chelicerae but i doubt we can convince mother nature to change her mind with the arguement that the vinegaroon would look cooler with that tiny designchange.

Onwards to writte chapter 3.
    By unique ability i was thinking about....for example how there are tiny vinegaroons that have a rear antenna that they use as a gigantic "ear" rather than a tasteorgan to feel for prey.
    Or how the jumping spider is capable of jumping 50 times it's own bodylenght. Things that can be described as different than the rest of their species.

Thanks again Schmiggle.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017