Uropygi Information

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
NW CA vinegaroon

I have a large mature vinegaroon that I am assuming is a male because of its sz and the sexing pictures. He was very active and eating a lot when I got him from a lady in CA (I lived at the time in the desert in southern CA). Hes in a 10 gal tank with about 6 inches of peat and little sand. He had been doing extensive burrowing, and then one day in the fall, he burried himself and stayed there. Thats been a yr and a half ago. He was extrememly fat then, and now is sooooooo fat its like a tick ready to burst, but still has not molted yet. Last Aug. I moved to Mississippi and hes surviving. The soil is moist and seems perfect. I can see him on the glass in the bottom of the tank in his cave. He is still alive and moving in there when I look. Any idea how long they can take to molt? I would imagine if he were a female, he would have given birth already. Just curious. I really like this "bug" a lot and hopes he survives. Guess I am afraid he will die after he molts.

Sharon

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
caught during molting from l2 to l3.
Enjoy!

couple more photos available here

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Amazing moulting photo`s :eek:
I hadnt seen my usually active vinegaroon in a few days so i finally opened her tub and she was no where to be seen, lifted the piece of bark up and there was a little hole with a yet again egg carrying vinegaroon :D
So it seems they can have more than one brood with just one mating :D

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Typopeltis sp? w/ eggs

I was about to put up some pix in the hopes of sexing, but this confirmed my suspicions:

As far as genus, it's just a guess. I will post more pix later:D

Last edited:

johnharper

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My other spider project

I have been seeing alot of spitting spiders at my parents house. In fact I released a gravid female a few days ago. Well I htought I had caught them all in the house lol but after coming home from work and stopping by my folks home before heading home I found another one. Its still kind of small and I am unsure of the sex but its eaten a b latteralis roach nymph so far. I hope to catch more and breed them.

John

johnharper

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mods please move this thread to the other spiders one its late and I got mixed up.

thanks,
John

saltyscissors

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
oh man, vinnies look absolutely fantastic. are they a beginner arachnid? any special needs regarding humidity, warmth and feeding?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Def. a beginner invert- handleable as well. Great eaters, hardy, relatively long lived, inexpensive, active(at night, anyway). If it weren't for the hot spot in my heart for centipedes, these would easily be my favorite. Care is simple- room temps., provide water for adults, occasionally mist for juvies. Feed weekly...unless they're bulging...then back off. I believe they have relatively slower metabolisms than other commonly kept inverts? Just keep them away from eyes:eek:

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ya they are pretty harmless. but you should be careful peering into their cage cause their squirts can actually go pretty high and it stings the piss out of your eyes if it gets in them... atings cuts and such as well, but wipes off easy. eyes ar eteh only ones i worry about.

on a differnet note. does anyone know if there is something in fertilizer (scotts 20-20-20 blue powder stuff if you think it matters what kind) that attracts vins??? i have a slurpee cup, not that hort at about 20cm tall and smooth, and i have had 3 vins climb up them and drown in them....there is about 5cm of water in the bottom with a bunch of fertilizer, so its liek a super crazy concentrated fertilizer mix. i find them dead in there.....any ideas???? they dont seem to go for hte little cups with only water in them...

mitchnast

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
probably attracted to the vapor trace. Something about it is probably simmilar to early-stage decomposition like in scavangable dead insects.

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
interesting thought. i dont keep anyhting like that around anymore :)

Some vins from Sabah, borneo by a river we swam at in the hills. Any ideas on species? I did not collect any or take any home, not into that anymore.

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
with the summer heat and rains, the wild T. crucifer here are breeding. got little babeis crawling around hte floor too. our dogs have a fit when they see them.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
I was wondering why she hasn't emerged yet while the others came out months ago so I looked under and found a pleasant surprise.
100_3092.jpg