1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urodacus yaschenkoi babies

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Dave Jay, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    I took pictures of a couple of my 2nd instar Uradacus yaschenkoi. I collected them myself from the Murray Mallee region in South Australia. I have been keeping four in a 14" tank for the last 8 months without incident. They get together regularly for little meetings and often 2 share a burrow. They're always swapping burrows and roaming around. Most of the Mallee is compacted coarse red sand , and I found many yasch holes in those areas , but these were found in fine white loose sand so that's what I keep them on, but my other yasch are kept on coarse red sand. little yasch - Copy.JPG little yasch 2 - Copy.JPG

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  2. The wolf

The wolf Arachnobaron

U.K.
    I love the little waving chelicerae

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stenodactylus

Stenodactylus Arachnosquire

This is fantastic. Probably the only time us non-Aussie keepers will get to see Urodacus. Beautiful animals.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dave Jay

Here's the underside of one of the babies
    yasch2.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dave Jay

yasch1.JPG And an Adult who needs a bath!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. The wolf

The wolf Arachnobaron

U.K.
    I love the aesthetics of these guys

• Like Like x 1
  7. Scorpionluva

Scorpionluva Arachnoangel Arachnosupporter

PA
    Thanks for sharing ! I love the red coloration at the tips of their chela

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dave Jay

Yes, it's very noticeable in the second instars but it darkens each moult.

9. Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry Arachnobaron Active Member

How deep is the sub you use for these guys? Thinking of getting one or two

10. Dave Jay

As deep as you can have it is the answer, in nature their burrows can be a meter or so deep, and spiralled so in reality much longer than a meter. The substrate in the babies tank is 20cm/8" at the back and about 15cm/6" at the front. The burrow at the front glass is about 3" deep, but I can tell by the peat at the entrances of a couple of burrows that they reach down all the way. I use false bottoms with these as they are susceptible to mycosis and need a dry surface. I put a layer of straight peat on top of the mesh separating substrate from rocks, then put the sand (or peat/sand mix) on top of that. Initially of course the substrate is a bit too damp, otherwise you can't pack it properly, as the top starts to dry the scorps follow the moisture down, seeing peat appear on the surface tells me that its time to add water to the rocks as the scorpions can go no lower. Having a peat layer in all my tanks means that although the substrates are different mixes therefore different colours the peat is the same so I can see by comparing the colours that one tank needs water and another doesn't.
    The short answer to your question is as much as you can put in without the scorpions being able to reach the top of the tank and escape.

• Like Like x 2