Urodacus Novaehollandiae

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Best advice I can give is to look up cities around the southwest coast of Australia and check the average temperature ranges. That's not going to be 100% accurate but it should give you a general idea of what they would experience in the wild.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I currently own a U. novaehollandiae, and we just got out of a rather cold winter. She survived unphased, so I wouldn't be too worried. They can always burrow after all.

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
That's the setup at the bottom for the Urosacus Novaehollandiae. A Komodo terraium 31x31x20cm. Substrate is Prorep spider life, prorep sedge peat and lucky reptile hero pottery mixed. It's topped with some prorep orchid bark. 10cm (4inch) at the from to around 15cm (6 inch) at the rear. Heat mat on the right holding a temp of roughly 80°F and the humidity it sitting around the 80%, but waiting for it to drop to 70%. Some fake plant decorations, a piece of slate and some cork bark across the back. 12 hour LED to help the light cycle. Have a plastic tub on the top that covers around 3/4 of the mesh to help keep the moisture in. Any further advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

AusBugKid

Arachnosquire
I keep a few Urodacus and really can't fault your setup, awesome stuff!
As for night time, they survive frequent near zero (celsius) nights, and some sub zero nights as well. Even summers in South Australia get pretty chilly at night. My Urodacus Elongatus does well with a heat mat under a third of his enclosure during winter to maintain about 5-10°C at night, and I turn it off in our summer and let the weather do it's thing, normally 30°C+ days, and some nights as warm as 20°C. Sorry for using celsius, will have to convert.

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
Does anyone know how much to feed and how regularly? I waited a week in the new enclosure before feeding, then fed 1 cricket a day for the last 3 days and all the following morning seem to be gone, even though I seem to own a hole at the minute and not a Scorpion!!. I obviously don't want to overfeed, but figured it may be hungry as hadn't been fed. Size is subadult if not adult

AusBugKid

Arachnosquire
Does anyone know how much to feed and how regularly? I waited a week in the new enclosure before feeding, then fed 1 cricket a day for the last 3 days and all the following morning seem to be gone, even though I seem to own a hole at the minute and not a Scorpion!!. I obviously don't want to overfeed, but figured it may be hungry as hadn't been fed. Size is subadult if not adult
I feed twice a week for my adults, but often have to remove food items as they haven't been eaten. Urodacus tend not to over eat, rather ignoring food when not hungry. Worst risk with too much feeding is if you don't remove prey they crawl around in front of/on top of the scorp, annoying it.

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
I feed twice a week for my adults, but often have to remove food items as they haven't been eaten. Urodacus tend not to over eat, rather ignoring food when not hungry. Worst risk with too much feeding is if you don't remove prey they crawl around in front of/on top of the scorp, annoying it.
1 cricket or equivalent per feed?