1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upside down scorpion

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by idontknowwhatimdoing, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Advertisement
    Howdy everyone. So I've had an asian forest scorpion (heterometrus longimanus) for about a month now and I've recently observed some odd behavior. She usually spends all day in a little burrow and comes out to hunt/explore around 11pm. The enclosure is a glass tank that usually stays within 75-85F. I mist daily along with providing a shallow water dish.She eats a small cricket once or twice a week. NOW for the weird part: for the past 3 nights she's been sitting in her burrow upside down. She is def alive because she comes out at night and accepted food. She just lays on her back all day. I haven't seen any other reports of this. Id greatly appreciate any advice I could get on this. Thanks!

2. ArachnoDrew

ArachnoDrew Arachnoprince Active Member

Odd behavior... there was 1 other person a few months back who claimed their AFS was doing something very similar.. I dont have an answer, the only time ive personaly seen a scorpion on its back is during a molt or dead... have you been able to examine it closely nothing physically weird with it? Or its enclosure?

3. Is she holding on to the ceiling of the burrow? If so then I wouldn't worry. Quite a few of my scorpions love doing this for some bizarre reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I don't think so. Her legs touch the top of the burrow but her claws aren't touching anything.

5. soldierof4cheese

soldierof4cheese Arachnoknight

Maybe she is preparing for a molt?

6. My scorpions do the same thing, don't even worry about it. :)

• Like Like x 1