Updates and thoughts on my new babies

rekabwerb

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ozzy (a.versicolor): He's awesome and the biggest, eats like a lil pig. Didn't eat for a few days so I thought he may molt, then I tried feeding him again and he ate, a day later his abdomen lost some blue striping and it now blackish, I think he may molt soon. He's made himself a cool little house and isnt shy at all.

Wario (p.murinus/OBT): See my thread in the discussion section, basically this guy is weird and likes to hide and doesnt eat often, but when he does, it scares me... and hes tiny. I think this little hellion is gonna be interesting to rehouse in the future.

Gizmo (GBB): Best fitting name! He's little, but cute (if spiders can be cute), and made some crazy webs. He hasn't eaten since I got him (been almost a week) but he beats up the crickets whenever they get near him. This guy walks around allot and redecorates, he's fun to watch.

Koopa (P.subfusca): This guy hasn't eaten yet either, he just fights with stuff. Got him the same day as Gizmo. I really like him, crazy "personality" His markings are almost 100% match with his surroundings (minus the action figure) so sometimes it takes a while to find him. I'm scared of this guy but not sure why - more of a respect really. Like if your best friend was a champion MMA fighter; you're not scared of your best friend but you know he could f you up if he wanted to.

NONE of my new friends like roaches, just crickets :confused:

I have no idea what sex they are yet, I just said "he" over and over because it was easier.

I need to rehouse all but the P.subfusca soon, not really looking foward to it.

I am 120% fascinated by these things, I'm glad I got into the hobby. I also got a cricket card from the LPS and after 10 stamps I get a free dozen!

:eek:

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello R - some observations on your observations ....

Ozzy (a.versicolor): ... eats like a lil pig ...
:eek:
Ditto with Speedy, my versi - a couple of days ago I dropped a mini-meal worm directly into his pedipalps (this was entirely unintentional - if I had taken careful aim I wouldn't have scored such a bulls-eye{D) - he clutched it to his chest, like a little girl hugging her dolly, before devouring it ... last night I tried to insert a cricket into his awning with forceps - he dashed up and grabbed the cricket directly from the jaws of the forceps before I even had a chance to release it ... it ain't for nothin' I call him Speedy ...

Wario (p.murinus/OBT): basically this guy is weird and likes to hide ...
I'm tired of trying to figure out these wacky Ts - I was bummed for a while that my pulchra and vegans stayed in their burrows all the time - I named the pulchra Caveman ... Granted, their burrows-with-a-view permitted me to observe them, but I still would have preferred that they be a little more sociable. Both of them molted in the last couple of weeks, and now they both hang out above ground – even during the day! Caveman even climbs up the surface of the KK and sits motionless, fly-on-the-wall style – perfect for inspecting his fangs and underbelly. And Diablo, the vagans, doesn't seem the least bit interested in his hideout anymore, not even to run away from me when I approach. So am I satisfied? – not really, because now I’m paranoid about why their behavior has changed, like "What have I done wrong now?" :wall: I guess I should accept it ... as long as they’re happy! …

I have no idea what sex they are yet, I just said "he" over and over because it was easier ...
Ditto!:D I'm assuming male until I'm informed otherwise ...

NONE of my new friends like roaches, just crickets ...
Try mealworms for a diversion. My Ts love them, and since mws don't run around like crickets, the Ts can approach them more slowly and deliberately - great for watching them feed! I put a large mealworm into Diablo's KK hoping to see him burrow up and eat it, but he showed no interest (I realized only later that he was in pre-molt mode) - when I checked the following morning, the mealworm had itself molted, and a waxy-white pupa remained. I left it there - Diablo molted the next day, and the following morning, the pupa was gone - I'm assuming Diablo chowed him down, and it must have been a soft and tasty treat for a freshly-molted T - chewy on the inside AND outside :} ... - another time the worm burrowed into the substrate, and Diablo went after him like a power drill - a true sight to behold ...

... I am 120% fascinated by these things, I'm glad I got into the hobby ...
Ditto ... and we appear to be in good company ;)

rekabwerb

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wario doesn't eat often but I've seen him eat, But the GBB & P.Sub havent eaten yet, I'm starting to get worried... they really just fight with stuff... maybe I should try pre-killed