Update on the Poecilotheria Subfusca Communal (6 months)

Phases

Arachnoknight
So, I've posted a couple updates on this last one was about five months ago. Anyway, this is an update I posted couple days ago, 6 months so far. For those who are interested, check it out - it's an Update, couple tips, and a rehouse into a 12 x 12 x 18 :)

So far they have as I have hoped, and have also been out and about, and then back into their little area I set them up in. So - keeping those fingers crossed!

:)

cold blood

Staff member
Aside from a few exceptions, most pokies can be kept communally until they are juvies...issues show up later in life.

Phases

Arachnoknight
These guys are around 3" now I guess, 3-3.5". I've not measured but they seem to be getting up there. Pretty fast too.....

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Thats not mold but fungus. It will sprout small mushrooms if kept damp enough. No harm to your T's. If you put a few tiny holes in the container in the sub area the air will percolate through the sub and keep it and mold more under control.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Thats not mold but fungus. It will sprout small mushrooms if kept damp enough. No harm to your T's. If you put a few tiny holes in the container in the sub area the air will percolate through the sub and keep it and mold more under control.
Thanks! I have a hard time distinquishing between the two. I did have one mushroom popup once, never seen one before, I was like whoa!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhrZMKFA4BS/

I swear it it popped up and got 2+ inches tall over night! I posted the pick and went back later to remove and it had already died.

JBarbaresi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I look forward to watching this develop. This is one of my favorite species. I have a single female about the same size right now.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Very pretty! I'd like to get my hands on a lowland as well as these, they get a little bigger :)

boina

Lady of the mites
I don't know if it's such a good idea to put a communal into such a large enclosure. It provides enough space for every spider to establish their own web and territory - and defend that territory. The usual recommendation is to keep them close together.

I've just separated my subfuscas at 3".

JBarbaresi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you decide you need to separate your communal and don't want to keep all 6, please let me know!

Phases

Arachnoknight
I don't know if it's such a good idea to put a communal into such a large enclosure. It provides enough space for every spider to establish their own web and territory - and defend that territory. The usual recommendation is to keep them close together.

I've just separated my subfuscas at 3".
Yeah, I know what you mean.. I talked about that in the vid.... I'm checking on them a lot. So far they're falling right into play with what I've been setting them up to do, but yeah imma be a little nervous until they molt a couple times.. I did have 2 break off the group the first night but got them back together and it has gone well from there.

They've since had at least a couple exploring at night, who so far make it back home.. as far as I can tell anyway..

Fingers crossed!

If you decide you need to separate your communal and don't want to keep all 6, please let me know!
Will do!

Phases

Arachnoknight
They certainly aren't wasting any time getting the walls nice and pooped up!

Phases

Arachnoknight
To be honest my biggest concern is whether or not they will all have what it takes to venture out and eat during feedings. I may have to just keep some crickets in there at all times. With water, they live a couple weeks. I have watched the group protect molters in the past, and they are high up in their hide. So, may do that.

Put in 10 or so crickets this am. One is out eating now!

I won't lie - it IS a very hands on, anxiety inducing adventure, if you want to make sure it's all done right. As in, they are encouraged to do things a certain way, steer in right direction, monitoring and basically babysitting, at this point. Until now, they were in much more confined spaces this is about double what I "should" have done, but.. well - it's all explained in the video but so far so good, appreciate the support and will update everyone of course as time goes on :)