1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update on Our Scolopendra polymorpha

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by Aquarimax, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Aquarimax

Aquarimax Arachnoangel Active Member

Utah
    Advertisement
    Hi all,
    I got my son a Scolopendra polymorpha nearly a year ago, and we’ve enjoyed keeping her. I made a quick video update about her, including a takedown of a mealworm... I didn’t post it to my main Youtube channel, just my ‘emergency backup’ channel, but feel free to have a look if you like:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Millipedematt

Millipedematt Arachnosquire

Florida
    Very nice. I actually bought a scolopendra polymorpha blue recently and its so tiny and cute. Its around 2 inches and so adorable.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BobBarley

BobBarley Arachnoprince Active Member

Awesome! What locale is that? :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Aquarimax

Utah
    Sounds beautiful! Is it a Sky Island Blue? I could see myself collecting several variants of this species...

5. Aquarimax

Utah
    Not sure, I just know it was collected in California. Or did you mean @Millipedematt ‘s blue specimen?

6. Millipedematt

Florida
    I'll try to get a picture and post it later tonight or tomorrow and im not sure about it being a sky island blue. But yeah I wouldn't mind adding more S. polymorpha to my collection as well. I'm just getting into centipedes and I'm glad this was my 1st species to own.

7. BobBarley

Dang, I'd recommend asking locale of the specimens from the sellers. Polymorpha is just so freaking variable and it'd be nice to be able to get a good CB line going, but I'mm hesitant to pair specimens of unknown locale.

In any case, good luck with the eggs and I can't wait to see pics of the blue!

8. Millipedematt

Florida
    I will ask about the locale next time i talk to the person whom in which i bought this specimen from. Also i don't want to "take over" someones thread so ill just post one pic right now

• Like Like x 1
  9. BobBarley

Nice specimen! If it's only 2", depending on locale don't be too surprised if it loses the blue or if it stays very small.

10. Millipedematt

Florida
    I figured it would lose quite a bit of blue as it grows. Hopefully she/he gets to a good size

11. Aquarimax

Utah
    I will see if the seller can give me locale. Unfortunately, she was disturbed and ate the eggs...i don’t know if she can store sperm for a second clutch. We purchased her in March and she laid the clutch in late August or early September.
    I would love to get a CB line going.:)

12. Aquarimax

Utah
    Beautiful little pedeling! Thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1
  13. LawnShrimp

LawnShrimp Arachnoangel

Cute poly! Love her navy blue stripes.

Depending on when she was mated she may still lay eggs. Centipedes can store sperm for at least two years depending on species; she might lay again at the same time. Alternatively she laid infertile eggs and ate them as female centipedes often do.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Aquarimax

Utah
    That is great to know that she could conceivably lay fertile eggs again. Thank you!
    She did brood them for several weeks before eating them. It is difficult to tell how long exactly, as she disappeared for about two weeks before I noticed the eggs, and continued to do so for some time thereafter.

• Like Like x 1