Update on my avic.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
had the correct husbandry minus some plants th t I was planning on getting on the 13th. correct temps and all that. I cleaned everything before it went into her enclosure. so im just not sure.
I'm not saying it wasn't in bad shape already when petco had it but you didn't have it set up correctly at all other than cross ventilation and the temps were very far from ideal..

I'm not bashing you but if someone doesn't point out your mistskes your likely to keep having the same results with Avics.. I replied to your thread Too cold and gave my opinions of both your enclosure and temps there yesterday.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
BUT on a more positive note,
We're considering getting a B. Smithi, Gbb, or G. Pulchripes. :D
I want a colorful terrestrial and my husband wants big and docile, so im thinking the G. Pulchripes would be a good match. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
I posted a link for you to watch about the video on new keepers' species. Maybe watch it first and then ask questions that are more specific ;)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I think Avic's are more susceptible to the smallest mistakes, but also believe they don't take care of themselves as well as some other T's. While I have mostly good luck with mine so far, mine are a bit on the crazy side when it comes to false pre-molt activity and refusing to exit their nest area for unknown reasons.

I don't have this kind of problem with any of my Tapi species or my Psalm Pulchers. If these species are in premolt they have had a molt each and every time so far. But I still have more to learn so......

Kennyg

Arachnopeon
my internet was being slow and i thought i was at the last post before i replied sorry.

so i just edited cause what i said had little relevance

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I think Avic's are more susceptible to the smallest mistakes, but also believe they don't take care of themselves as well as some other T's. While I have mostly good luck with mine so far, mine are a bit on the crazy side when it comes to false pre-molt activity and refusing to exit their nest area for unknown reasons.

I don't have this kind of problem with any of my Tapi species or my Psalm Pulchers. If these species are in premolt they have had a molt each and every time so far. But I still have more to learn so......
@viper69 has had similar observations, mainly concerning drinking after molting i believe.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@viper69 has had similar observations, mainly concerning drinking after molting i believe.
I have, but I cannot state that is because they don't take care of themselves. I can't expect a wild animal to do things it has not evolved to do.

the fact that an acronym was invented to describe this exact post should tell u something
What does the acronym tell you? I'm merely curious to get your viewpoint. I can see a number of conclusions one might make based on that acronym.

but also believe they don't take care of themselves as well as some other T's
Curious to see what you mean by that in detail.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
^^^^^how commonplace unknown avic deaths are. I find it extremely curious that this particular Avic ate two crickets right before it died. I think a healthy pinktoe eating and behaving normally only to die the next day would qualify as sudden. and husbandry would not make the t do a 360 and die overnight unless she filled the enclosure with water or put against a heater. I would imagine the term sads came from cases just like this.

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
Could I house a terrestrial t in the same container I had my avic in? (Different husbandry of course) The one I would be getting is 2.5"

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Could I house a terrestrial t in the same container I had my avic in? (Different husbandry of course) The one I would be getting is 2.5"
what container did you use? Terrestrial Ts DO NOT belong in tall containers without proper amount of sub for some basic advice ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
^^^^^how commonplace unknown avic deaths are. I find it extremely curious that this particular Avic ate two crickets right before it died. I think a healthy pinktoe eating and behaving normally only to die the next day would qualify as sudden. and husbandry would not make the t do a 360 and die overnight unless she filled the enclosure with water or put against a heater. I would imagine the term sads came from cases just like this.
SADS is nothing but garbage as @Venom1080 indicated.

Who knows if the T was healthy or not? We have no idea of knowing actually. It's like the mysterious white spots that appear on their abdomens. There is a lot of T physiology that really isn't known at all. Black boxes with 8 legs.

Unrelated, Rabbits do the same thing, one day they are healthy, and literally the next day you will find them dead. A breeder in the area let us know this once, and poof one day we had a rabbit harder than a rock!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Petco is 100% captive bred.
Bravo! Bravo!

Not only! Petco are of best, and the future of U.S Theraphosidae hobby! It's a shame that people here fail to realize the truth. Such marvellous & bizarre enclosure, those "Tarantula Hut" are.

I beg a Petco employer (in the hope that He/She/weird gender etc read this): oh please lend me thy Theraphosidae strenght & knowledge of yours so I may lend thee mine in return :-s

Christ, when I hear people bashing Petco/s here for absolutely no valid reasons, my ears can hear thy words, but my heart refuset to acknowledge them :(

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
^^^^^ 100% Captive bred. The rest is misplaced nonsense, as I was not advocating in any way purchasing or taking advice from petco.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
BUT on a more positive note,
We're considering getting a B. Smithi, Gbb, or G. Pulchripes. :D
I want a colorful terrestrial and my husband wants big and docile, so im thinking the G. Pulchripes would be a good match. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Grammostola as a genus can best be summed up in one word: moody. One day, they will be fine, and the next, outright hostile. This is why you always do the paintbrush or soda straw touch test before getting your hands anywhere near them (or any T for that matter.)

G. pulchripes was my first T. It was inexpensive, very pretty and easy to care for. G. pulchra is great too, but not colorful...jet black.

Colorful terrestrials...may also want to consider P. sazimai, B. boehemi (IMO a more attractive version of the B. Smithi) and Pseudhapalopus sp. Blue.

It's not colorful, but B. albopilosum also has a reputation for being quite docile, and looks interesting. Considered by many to be the best overall beginner T. Euthalus Sp. Red is usually super docile, but is only 3" as an adult and is a slow grower.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
In this case, the Avic already had a crooked fang. So even though it ate, it could have been weak already when OP bought it.
And T's actually can die overnight. Not just Avics. But because Avicularia already has a reputation for being sensitive, it is easier to put a label on it. People want an explanation that describes why spiders die, when in fact we don't even know where to begin when it comes to Theraphosidae illnesses. DKS is another example of people trying to explain what is wrong.

But just because a term is commonplace, that doesn't mean it is true. People were convinced the earth was flat once...until they learned it wasn't.

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
In this case, the Avic already had a crooked fang. So even though it ate, it could have been weak already when OP bought it.
And T's actually can die overnight. Not just Avics. But because Avicularia already has a reputation for being sensitive, it is easier to put a label on it. People want an explanation that describes why spiders die, when in fact we don't even know where to begin when it comes to Theraphosidae illnesses. DKS is another example of people trying to explain what is wrong.

But just because a term is commonplace, that doesn't mean it is true. People were convinced the earth was flat once...until they learned it wasn't.
This is a picture I took when I first got her, so I concur, THIS WAS NOT MY FAULT.
My poor baby :c
I feel bad for not noticing sooner.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
This is a picture I took when I first got her, so I concur, THIS WAS NOT MY FAULT.
My poor baby :c
I feel bad for not noticing sooner.
Nobody said it was your fault ;). I was replying specifically to Rittdk. I understand you feel bad, it would be weird if you didn't. Take the time to get to know your next one, and get it from a reputable dealer. :)

Jeff23

Arachnolord

Curious to see what you mean by that in detail.
I don't mean to imply they have mental issues that make them have some type of eating disorder like us humans. It is more from a results observation on how it comes across to me versus all the other arboreal T's I own. I currently have arboreal T's in several NW genus (Psalms, Tapi's, Pachistopelma, Iridopelma). In reality, this behavior really isn't any different than the burrowing T that won't come out for endless periods. We just can't see the burrowers as easily to build our fear about their health.

I sometimes wonder if perhaps they are more prone to be prey themselves than some other arboreal T's in the wild or perhaps this is their defense system. They aren't as fast as a Tapi or Psalm.