Update on my 2 Tarantula Slings

Venum

Arachnopeon
I recently posted a question asking how to care for my first tarantula, an A. Purpurea. I've had her (hopefully) for 2 weeks now, and I wanted to share an update. Right now, it is housed in a 4 oz deli cup with a piece of cork bark propped up. I hot glued a leaf to that as was suggested. After about 24 hours in this enclosure the sling barricaded one side of the cork bark with substrate and made it so there is only one way to get behind it. I have found this makes it relatively easy to feed the sling as I can just leave an injured lateralis roach near the entrance and is is gone by morning. I have also noticed, as some people suggested, that the sling likes to make web trails from the water dish to the hide. Sometimes I have to clear these while refilling the water dish, but they always appear again a few days later. This leads me to believe the sling is exploring the enclosure at night.

I also got a B. Albopilosum which I find to be more interesting right now because I can actually observe it most of the time. This one is quite a bit smaller so I have it in a two ounce deli cup with a piece of cork bark laid down. After about 48 hours, the sling excavated a burrow underneath the cork bark and has made several pathways around it. I have also observed it filling it's water dish (a small pill container) with substrate. I have read about older tarantulas doing this, but I didn't expect this behavior from a tiny sling. I originally fed this one with injured pinhead crickets and lateralis roaches, but I've also started offering live drysophelia melangasters and it seems to be able to take these down with ease. It is still too small, however, to take down live pinhead crickets and roaches.

In conclusion, I have to say that I am really enjoying this hobby and this community so far. I look forward to when the slings have a few molts under their belts so they are a bit larger and hairier. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Attachments

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Sounds great, thanks for the update! There is something going on with your photos, though. We're not able to see them... at least, I can't.

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
I can’t see the pics either. Enjoyed the update, though.

Edit: They’re so tiny! Best of luck with them :)

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Soil looks a bit dry to me. Do they have a spot that is a bit damper? Spiderlings need the enclosures a bit damp, but not soaking wet.

Venum

Arachnopeon
I have a syringe that I use to dampen the webbing and a portion of enclosure. I usually do that about 2-3 times per week. Is that too little?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have a syringe that I use to dampen the webbing and a portion of enclosure. I usually do that about 2-3 times per week. Is that too little?
It's tough to say. I wouldn't let the soil dry out completely for very long with spiderlings. It is still very humid where I am, so I am doing it less right now. In the winter, at our driest, I can be moistening spiderling substrate nearly every day. Just always keep an eye on it and maybe make a bigger area damp. With the little albopilosum, I would make 50% of that enclosure damp.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Does it mean anything when they put sub or rubbish in their water?
Just a way to pass the time - probably 25% of mine do it, at least. Sometimes, they will put food remains in their water and cover it with dirt. Keep an eye on that, because that will stink like you can't even imagine. That is why I try to keep on top of emptying out dirt filled dishes.
_DSC6840-2.jpg