Update from a beginner

Bambu

Arachnopeon
Hi again, made this thread because I feel the urge to talk about tarantulas with people. I also just wanted to give an overdue update on my first T from a while back (I was the guy who panicked over the USDA holding his first T in-case any of you remember me. Thanks again for all the help in that thread, I still really appreciate it.)

So, I kind of just disappeared after my last thread despite promising to post pictures of my B. albopilosum, so here's a picture, she's doing very well, I think she may be pre-molt even?

Anyhoo, I'm back on AB because today I got my second T (an Eupalaestrus campestratus who's about the same size as my B. albopilosum) at a con and feel like I'm falling in love with Ts all over again. I'm considering purchasing a couple slings soon. I kind of want to get an Avicularia versicolor, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for an arboreal yet... Definitely considering getting a GBB and maybe a (blue) Aphonopelma seemanni as well.

I hope I can kickstart some nice discussion, maybe get some advice on the next steps I should take with this hobby, etc, etc. Hope you're all doing well! (Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this or there's another thread I could have jumped into instead.)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OH I remember that thread hahahah.

What con did you attend, and when did you go?

PZB's are great Ts, they get a good size on them too. Disposition generally good, but not all of them. Glad your B. albo seems to be doing well!

I can't tell you if you are ready or not per se, I'd lean along the lines of wait a bit more and keep learning before getting an Avic. IF/WHEN you get one, do yourself a favor and get one that is 2" in size. They are much hardier at that size than slings.

I'd def. get a GBB, VERY HARDY, and PRETTY. I'd get a sling so you can watch the color and pattern transformation. Prob the most unique of all Ts IMO.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I never touch avicularia due to their husbandry. Completely skipped NW arboreals. Just the Asian species humidity requirements are enough for me. Part of the reason I left the mantis hobby was those insane needs.

Bambu

Arachnopeon
OH I remember that thread hahahah.

What con did you attend, and when did you go?

PZB's are great Ts, they get a good size on them too. Disposition generally good, but not all of them. Glad your B. albo seems to be doing well!

I can't tell you if you are ready or not per se, I'd lean along the lines of wait a bit more and keep learning before getting an Avic. IF/WHEN you get one, do yourself a favor and get one that is 2" in size. They are much hardier at that size than slings.

I'd def. get a GBB, VERY HARDY, and PRETTY. I'd get a sling so you can watch the color and pattern transformation. Prob the most unique of all Ts IMO.
I went to American Frog Day (today) in Fremont, GBU Enterprises was vending there so I figured I'd check what Ts they had. Was close to buying a 1" or so Arizona Blonde when a 2" PZB caught my eye. Positively gorgeous, super happy with my purchase.

Yeah, I figure waiting a bit longer (build up more experience with NW terrestrials) is the best way to go. I'll definitely get a 2"+ when the time comes.

I really admire GBBs! The heavy-webbing is also a great aspect imo. I'll probably end up ordering one soon. Happen to know if Pinchers & Pokies is a good seller? They're looking pretty nice and affordable from what I see.
I never touch avicularia due to their husbandry. Completely skipped NW arboreals. Just the Asian species humidity requirements are enough for me. Part of the reason I left the mantis hobby was those insane needs.
Yeah, I've heard they can be a bit... "Needy". I don't know about completely ruling them out just yet though, I'll see where the future takes me in this hobby I guess.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Get the Psalmo genus if you aren't sure about OWs, but want to test the waters on speed and agility. They are all very, very nimble, and much faster than any NW other than Taps. They are also generally pretty good eaters too.

If you don't like those due to speed etc, you won't like Pokis.

Also while Psalmo's venom is stronger than other NWs, they don't have urticating setae :D

Bambu

Arachnopeon
Get the Psalmo genus if you aren't sure about OWs, but want to test the waters on speed and agility. They are all very, very nimble, and much faster than any NW other than Taps. They are also generally pretty good eaters too.

If you don't like those due to speed etc, you won't like Pokis.

Also while Psalmo's venom is stronger than other NWs, they don't have urticating setae :D
Oh! Sorry, I meant Pinchers & Pokies the dealer. They have GBBs and (blue) Aphonopelma seemanni s available. No way in heck am I even remotely ready or comfortable with owning a Pokie yet, or any OW for that matter. (Again, "yet".)

I remember you, ah ah.

I suggest you a C.cyaneopubescens. You can't go wrong.
Yeah, totally ordering a sling ASAP. Quite possibly today.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Avicularia arent all that difficult. Tall enclosure, good cross ventilation, no top ventilation, cork bark, plants, ect to attach webbing to, and a water dish filled at least once/wk. Keep them from getting too cold and they'll be fine. I usually mist the sub weekly if the air where i live is dry at the time.

Bambu

Arachnopeon
So, I have a a confession I feel I should mention. The B. albopilosum issn't my first T. I ordered a G. rosea sling back when I was 15 or so (hard to remember exactly) from Jamie's Tarantulas and way over-cared for it. Drowned the poor baby with misting. Which makes me really cringe in retrospect. I still have the enclosure (well tank which has been cleaned out, old dirt and stuff is gone) I bought with it and will be using it for the GBB sling. I figure I should get this off my chest first if I'm going to post pics of my GBB in a Jamie's Tarantulas cage later. I just want to say sorry to the hobby and especially sorry to that little sling.

In happier news, have a 16 ounce deli cup and previously mentioned enclosure refurbished and ready to go for the new slings (they'll be about 1") I'll be ordering very soon (within 15 minutes I reckon.)

EDIT: Okay, ordered from Pinchers & Pokies! Will update when they arrive.

Last edited:

Bambu

Arachnopeon
Sorry for double-post, but I have a couple quick questions.

Is dry (coconut fiber) substrate with a shallow water bowl suitable for PZBs, GBBs, and A. Seemanni's like it is with B. albopilosum, or should I keep the substrate a bit damper? Also, are small mealworms suitable food for slings close to 1"? Thanks for any replies and/or advice!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Sorry for double-post, but I have a couple quick questions.

Is dry (coconut fiber) substrate with a shallow water bowl suitable for PZBs, GBBs, and A. Seemanni's like it is with B. albopilosum, or should I keep the substrate a bit damper? Also, are small mealworms suitable food for slings close to 1"? Thanks for any replies and/or advice!
I have never owned a E.campestratus or A.seemanni so if I'm wrong on their accounts someone correct me. I am assuming that PZB stands for Pink Zebra Beauty or Eupalaestrus campestratus. Try to use the scientific names if you know them, it really helps us find you information and to be sure we know what you are asking about. Around in inch, I have my tarantulas in a enclosure that is big enough for a water dish and I let the substrate start drying out for any who do not require it. In your case that would be the B.albopilosum, C.cyaneopubescens and A.seemanni. The E.campestratus substrate should be kept a bit damper.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I have never owned a E.campestratus or A.seemanni so if I'm wrong on their accounts someone correct me. I am assuming that PZB stands for Pink Zebra Beauty or Eupalaestrus campestratus. Try to use the scientific names if you know them, it really helps us find you information and to be sure we know what you are asking about. Around in inch, I have my tarantulas in a enclosure that is big enough for a water dish and I let the substrate start drying out for any who do not require it. In your case that would be the B.albopilosum, C.cyaneopubescens and A.seemanni. The E.campestratus substrate should be kept a bit damper.
The GBB should be kept on bone dry substrate with a water dish, but I´m not sure whether it´s a good idea to keep an A. seemanni the same way. I did own one a while back (then I sold it to get more space for Baboons) and I used to keep at least parts of its substrate a bit moist. She tended to hang out on the moist part, so they enjoy more humidity than a GBB for sure.

Bambu

Arachnopeon
Sorry about that. Still getting used to memorizing the PZB's scientific name. Some can look intimidating at first, and yes, E. campestratus is the "PZB" I was referring to.

And thanks for the info! I'll pour some water in her substrate every so often to keep it a bit on the damper side.

The GBB should be kept on bone dry substrate with a water dish, but I´m not sure whether it´s a good idea to keep an A. seemanni the same way. I did own one a while back (then I sold it to get more space for Baboons) and I used to keep at least parts of its substrate a bit moist. She tended to hang out on the moist part, so they enjoy more humidity than a GBB for sure.
Yeah, I recall hearing bone dry for GBBs, just wanted to make sure. Thank you!

I'll experiment a bit with the A. seemanni's substrate. Will keep one side on the damper end and see how the little guy enjoys it.

If anyone cares, decided on the names Bruise and Weaver for the Blue A. seemanni and GBB respectively. Just felt like sharing that for some reason.

Bonus: Here's a pic of my pretty E. campestratus, Princess Fuzzles, I took this morning, one of my better pics imo:

Bambu

Arachnopeon
Sorry for double-post (again), but I have an update and a couple questions.

Update: I added a B. vagans sling to my order, yay! :D

Questions: Would a mini kritter keeper (measuring 7" x 4.5" x 5.5") be suitable for a 1" sling? I'm leaning towards "too big and they may be able to fit through the vents.", but just want to double-check. Also, could Dwarf White Isopods potentially harm and/or stress a molting T and/or sling? Or would they make a good clean-up crew? Google seemed to say the latter.

Thanks for any replies and advice as usual!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I believe at that size it would be able to squeeze through the vents, yes. Spiders are scarily nimble (not as bad as Chilopoda though). I seem to recall somewhere someone saying they do not use Kritter Keepers for any spider under 2.5" DLS. Honestly though, better to err on the side of caution and wait till 3+" DLS if you ask me.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I believe at that size it would be able to squeeze through the vents, yes. Spiders are scarily nimble (not as bad as Chilopoda though). I seem to recall somewhere someone saying they do not use Kritter Keepers for any spider under 2.5" DLS. Honestly though, better to err on the side of caution and wait till 3+" DLS if you ask me.
at 3", they outgrow a mini KK.

OP, ive had 1" slings in mini KKs with no issues. rehousing another 1" sling in a few days after its molt hardens.

Bambu

Arachnopeon
The slings arrive tomorrow morning, I'm so excited! :D

Also, after I get some more experience (deal with some moltings, rehousings, sling care, and a lot more research and involvement here), I think I may move on to a Psalmopoeus cambridgei next (that's a good "next step" species, yeah?), their color really appeals to me.

Thanks again for all the support and advice, I really appreciate how helpful you guys have been. This hobby is wonderful!