Update and advice on these two enclosures

Medd

Arachnopeon
About a week ago I posted looking for reassurance on my Avic Avic enclosure and wanted to thank Cold Blood, Andrea82, Mirandarachnid, Element and The Grym Reaper for their awesome advice. I wanted to post an update picture and ask about it and a new enclosure for another T. I’ve since reduced the spraying to a light mist a few times a week around her area just so she can get some water and have replaced the wood with a stick the goes up into the corner of her enclosure where the foliage is thickest. Hope this is looking a little better suited to her needs.

Secondly, after word got out at work that I had added a T to my household a coworker ran out to pick one up too not thinking whether or not his wife and landlord would allow it. They didn’t, he asked if I would take it and I obliged. Did a little on the fly research and am pretty sure it’s an Aphonopelma Seemani (second set of pictures below) so I set up a quick habitat for her and just wanted to get a second opinion on if it’s satisfactory or what I can do to improve it. My only concern is it’s not enough substrate but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help and time!

Attachments

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
About a week ago I posted looking for reassurance on my Avic Avic enclosure and wanted to thank Cold Blood, Andrea82, Mirandarachnid, Element and The Grym Reaper for their awesome advice. I wanted to post an update picture and ask about it and a new enclosure for another T. I’ve since reduced the spraying to a light mist a few times a week around her area just so she can get some water and have replaced the wood with a stick the goes up into the corner of her enclosure where the foliage is thickest. Hope this is looking a little better suited to her needs.

Secondly, after word got out at work that I had added a T to my household a coworker ran out to pick one up too not thinking whether or not his wife and landlord would allow it. They didn’t, he asked if I would take it and I obliged. Did a little on the fly research and am pretty sure it’s an Aphonopelma Seemani (second set of pictures below) so I set up a quick habitat for her and just wanted to get a second opinion on if it’s satisfactory or what I can do to improve it. My only concern is it’s not enough substrate but any advice would be appreciated.

I’m pretty sure that’s an A. Semmani but I’ll leave it for the more experiences to identify it. The setup looks ok. How big is the T and how tall is the cage? They like to borrow and that’s probably enough and they like things a little on the wet side so pour some water in every week or so. I’m guessing the setup for it is the 2nd one???

Theneil

Arachnoprince
@KezyGLA is that the species that is sold as the a seemani "blue" color form?

i vaguely remember seeing you post something on another thread but i can't remember for sure what species you said the "blue" color form actually is or how to tell them apart

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
@KezyGLA is that the species that is sold as the a seemani "blue" color form?

i vaguely remember seeing you post something on another thread but i can't remember for sure what species you said the "blue" color form actually is or how to tell them apart
Yes, thats the one.

They look like A. seemanni but have narrower striping on the legs. Mature males are different too.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +

I would add more substrate to the terrestrial enclosure.

The Avic spp looks good.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Much more moist sub for the aphonopelma, and bury that hide down significantly.

They prefer small enclosed hides and will burrow and expand if necessary. What kind of lid are you using?

Medd

Arachnopeon
Wow! Thanks for all the helpful information here! I’m really enjoying learning more about this hobby. If I’m not careful I may get addicted.

I’m pretty sure it’s a 5.5 gallon with a mesh wire lid. The air here just sucks up moisture though so I was thinking about picking up a sheet of plexiglass to cover a portion of the mesh top to keep humidity up. I also added a few clumps of sphagnum moss here and there to try and help keep the enclosure a little moist.

As for her size I will try to take a better picture with something that she can be compared with(not sure of it’s gender, just used to saying she now).

How would I go about burying her hide a little more now that she’s hanging out in there? Just move her into a container for a moment while I bury it a little more and add additional substrate?

Thanks again for the help and time!

Medd

Arachnopeon
On a more serious note they look good, maybe add some more dirt to the terrestrial setup.
Should I just wait until she’s out of her hide and throw a little more in there? I wanted to put some loose substrate in the hide for her to burrow and then just add a little more on the right?

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Should I just wait until she’s out of her hide and throw a little more in there? I wanted to put some loose substrate in the hide for her to burrow and then just add a little more on the right?
You could even just take her out and put her in a container and add some more so the substrate is a little deeper

boina

Lady of the mites
to keep humidity up.
Don't. Just don't. That sentiment has killed more spiders than anything else. Restricting ventilation leads to moist, stuffy enclosures - the No. 1 killer of tarantulas. Just moisten the substrate a little more often if you live in a dry environment and do not even think about 'humidity'.

It may be a good idea, though, to switch out the mesh lid for acrylic since a tarantulas claws can get stuck in the mesh when they decide to climb. The tarantula will then hang from a leg from the lid and in the best case scenario simply lose that leg.

Last edited:

Medd

Arachnopeon
Don't. Just don't. That sentiment has killed more spiders than anything else. Restricting ventilation leads to moist, stuffy enclosures - the No. 1 killer of tarantulas. Just moisten the substrate a little more often if you live in a dry environment and don not even think about 'humidity'.

It may be a good idea, though, to switch out the mesh lid for acrylic since a tarantulas claws can get stuck in the mesh when they decide to climb. The tarantula will then hand from a leg from the lid and in the best case scenario simply lose that leg.
Copy that. Thanks for the information!