Unwanted kitten help

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
First time kitten owner for an unwanted kitten, need some tips to keep the house clean when I'm at work.
The kitten is adorable and I do not want her to go to a shelter, we've had cats as a family but I've never raised my own kitten.
She will get lots of hugs from me, but she is unwanted because she has accidents all over the previous owners house.
Tips would be very much appreciated!

Attachments

schmiggle

Arachnoking
No advice (I don't know the first thing about cats) but this is a very kind thing to do :)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cute cat. I like cats, but i cant give you advise what to do. Hope it solves itself

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I will just wing it then, she seems to trust me so that is good. She does love to play a lot too.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Easiest way. Fence a 'play pen' area in the yard. Every half hour or so, put the kitten in it for a few minutes. At first it will eventually go potty there. After a few repeats it will prefer to go there. Eventually it will insist on going there and nowhere else. If you have to do it with a cat box, you are going to have accidents and some kittens won't get the clue until they mature. With a cat box it's eagle eye time. When you suspect it is about to go, gently pick it up and put it in the box. If it shuns the box, it is in the wrong place. Most kittens will also prefer not being watched so a private location for it is much preferred.
With serious leaking kittens, keep in mind they usually learn from observing adults. Without adults they are simply clueless-brainless about it.
If you have to leave the kitten alone like going to work, put food, water and the cat box in the bathroom and lock the kitten in there.

One trick I'm told works. Haven't tried it. Abandoned kittens. Go to someone who owns cats or the local animal care/refuge place and collect an assortment of poop and piddled on cat litter. Put it in the cat box. It clues the kitten what to do there.

Last edited:

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Easiest way. Fence a 'play pen' area in the yard. Every half hour or so, put the kitten in it for a few minutes. At first it will eventually go potty there. After a few repeats it will prefer to go there. Eventually it will insist on going there and nowhere else. If you have to do it with a cat box, you are going to have accidents and some kittens won't get the clue until they mature. With a cat box it's eagle eye time. When you suspect it is about to go, gently pick it up and put it in the box. If it shuns the box, it is in the wrong place. Most kittens will also prefer not being watched so a private location for it is much preferred.
With serious leaking kittens, keep in mind they usually learn from observing adults. Without adults they are simply clueless-brainless about it.
If you have to leave the kitten alone like going to work, put food, water and the cat box in the bathroom and lock the kitten in there.

One trick I'm told works. Haven't tried it. Abandoned kittens. Go to someone who owns cats or the local animal care/refuge place and collect an assortment of poop and piddled on cat litter. Put it in the cat box. It clues the kitten what to do there.
This would be a good idea however I live in a flat with no garden, she will be a house cat
She used the litter tray this morning and I have had to leave her for about 9 hours today for work so I hope she is okay

The Snark

Old Timer
This would be a good idea however I live in a flat with no garden, she will be a house cat
She used the litter tray this morning and I have had to leave her for about 9 hours today for work so I hope she is okay
She should be fine. Kittens sleep a lot, and mostly during the day. Bored, but... All the info I gave you is from practical experience doing cat rescues. And all our cats perforce are indoor. With feral cats everywhere, diseases of all sorts, and snakes as in Snit getting tagged by a Hannah a few months back, it's shredded furniture and constantly asking ourselves why we asked for the abuse.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
She should be fine. Kittens sleep a lot, and mostly during the day. Bored, but... All the info I gave you is from practical experience doing cat rescues. And all our cats perforce are indoor. With feral cats everywhere, diseases of all sorts, and snakes as in Snit getting tagged by a Hannah a few months back, it's shredded furniture and constantly asking ourselves why we asked for the abuse.
I'm worried she has become bored and started doing things she shouldn't, I played a bit with her before work and left her a load of toys to play with while I'm gone.
Hopefully she has behaved, anyway I can get her to use the scratching post I gave her? She hasn't shown it any interest in it at all

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
If using a litter box make sure the sides are low enough for the kitten to be able to get into it easily.

As far as the scratching post goes maybe she doesn't like the texture. I've had cats for many years and most of them showed a preference for certain types. Some would only use the coiled rope ones, some the carpeted ones, none liked the woven rope ones and most would use the disposable cardboard ones that you sprinkle catnip on. Of course I've had some that would only use the couch, the carpet on the floor and one that totally shredded one of my wooden kitchen drawers over the 18+ years I had him. I learned many years ago not to get expensive furniture,carpets, etc.

The Snark

Old Timer
Hopefully she has behaved, anyway I can get her to use the scratching post I gave her? She hasn't shown it any interest in it at all
Yeah. We've loaded ours down with toys. And their favorites? Destroying the couch and chewing cardboard boxes. Just is no way of predicting what they want, and after 2 years of pleading, petting, yelling, diverting and you name it I simply gave up and let them destroy the couch. All our efforts only served to make them neurotic.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Thank everyone above for the help, she has had no accidents and behaved well when I was away but was full of energy when I returned.
She seems to understand the litter tray just fine, the scratching post she hasn't quite got despite my best efforts to get her to use it.
She is very good so far at night and will sleep alone away from my spiders without a sound, loves to play and when tired she will sleep in my lap.
She takes a lot of my free time up, but I'm coping with her and my other pets.

Attachments

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Easiest thing to do when you are out is put it in the bathroom. That is a good thing to do with any cat that you adopt. Especially if you have other cats. Another thing to do is make sure you have a couple of litter boxes around. My rule is one litter box per cat +an extra one. I have 3 cats so 4 boxes in total. If the problem is spraying as opposed to elimination then get the cat fixed. Males have more problems with this and it usually gets solved when they get neutered.

When it comes to scratching and scratch posts there are a few things you could try. Say the cat scratches the side of your couch. Put a scratch post there to block the area. They usually just want to scratch something ( could also be just scent marking) so give them something they can scratch. The other thing you can do is see if the cat likes catnip. If so bring it to the scratch post and put some catnip on it. Cats usually go nuts on them after that.

It sounds like your kitten was separated from mom too early. The mom would teach all the kittens this stuff by about 10 weeks of age.

I had one rescue cat (3 years old) that was showing signs of this. She was abandoned and in a kill shelter running out of time when I got her. She was really traumatized and was a lot of work. Turned into the most awesome pet ever but took a lot of effort. Best thing i ever did.

Kudos for taking the kitten in. These problems are easily solved.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Sounds like the previous "owner" was a neurotic moron. Most cats don't really have major issues figuring out what a litter box is for.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I've always had an older cat to teach my new kitten (35+ years having cats) so my kittens watched the older cats and learned to use the box, the scratching post, etc.. Also, which are the sunniest spots to steal! :)
I think with my first kitten, I just set him in his new litter box; he dug around a bit and figured out on his own it would make a great place to poop and pee.

For furniture saving, I realized a soft smooth peach-skin type fabric wasn't as appealing to scratch as a rougher weave. Since getting my tan peach-skin sofa, no issues. ("cuz I've had cats that used scratching post, carpets AND furniture).

Hoping for a successful adaption to new home!