Unusual colonies

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have plenty of roaches, but what other insects can be maintained in a long-term population? I've been looking for silverfish/firebrats to no avail, thinking of buying some lubber grasshoppers. What about beetles? Interesting flies? I'd like to hear some non-roach success stories.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have done alright with a few different millipede species, assassin bugs, waxworm moths, Helix aspersa, various isopod species, earthworms, and a few others over time. It really depends on what you like. Most beetles are illegal to keep, though you can get the beautiful and native Cotinis sp. to propogate in captivity if you have some patience. Helix aspersa are neat and edible... some of the more attractive flies are possible but hard to do because thier larvae feed on specific things like live flowers or such.

There is a member on this board that keep various wasps successfully, which could be cool. The only thing I have currently that makes large cultures are several dozen roach species...

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can raise fruit flies and try to create mutations in their eye color or wing pattern. It must be easy to do because many varieties are available now if your willing to pay enough for them. Usually $15-25 per culture.
I for one like the white eye mutation. ;)

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My barkling beetles seem to be doing really well together in close quarters. Plenty of wood makes them very happy. :)

I've already seen tiny "super"worms in the cereal substrate.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why not try those two spot click beetles that glow in the dark?

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
"Barkling Beetles" :? Are those found in canine shelters?

You mean Darkling Beetle or Darkening Beetle I think...

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Makes women happy too. {D

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p
My Dad is now staring at me again because I laughed so hard. {D

Oh, darkling beetles? Dang, I've been calling them barkling beetles for the longest time. Stupid net caresheets! :wall::rolleyes:

Where can I get those lubber heads (grasshoppers) when my tarantulas become big? Bet they have more food on them than crickets. :D

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are various flour beetle species you could keep.
Oh, and isopods too.

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I agree about darkling beetles (tenebrionidae). I personally like the blue death-feigning beetles the best of these. They are pretty active during the day, live years and require VERY minimal attention. Of course, they are not likely to reproduce in captivity, but you might get lucky.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What about keeping weevils in containers filled with dried beans? I've heard of people doing that before.

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Only person I ever seen that kept firebrats were DoubleD's. Im unsure if he currently keeps them.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I kept a water boatman colony once. Just need water that's pretty still and doesn't get chilly, some branches or other decor to lay eggs on and algae to eat. I noticed when I caught them as adults they were more likely to surface and fly off, but when I caught them as nymphs, they stuck around.. :?

Had a shrimp colony once but it got too stinky. Earwigs smell even worse than crickets in my opinion. I had a colony of those, too.

One time my Dad took down a wasp hive he thought was empty but when I looked there were larvae. I didn't tell my parents I was raising it. I mashed up bugs I caught and fed them with a dropper and it did work to my surprise. Unfortunately, an ant colony found my little hive. :(

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
Hey Scythemantis,
The eastern lubbers are not animals that live in colonies (like ants or bees). They don’t even stay together in a group, although a food plant they like will keep them around. They simply are insects that don’t mind living together (like they will not really fight or eat each other) so it is ok to keep them in a group.
ZergFront,
You can get eastern lubbers from me when the summer comes. I sell them every year. They are not really a feeder insect though. As they take a long time to become adults, could possibly do damage to a T, cost a bit more than crickets and they are toxic to some animals. My neighbor’s dog used to eat them all the time, until he dropped dead one day with a belly full of them. R.I.P. poor doogy.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ZergFront,
You can get eastern lubbers from me when the summer comes. I sell them every year. They are not really a feeder insect though. As they take a long time to become adults, could possibly do damage to a T, cost a bit more than crickets and they are toxic to some animals. My neighbor’s dog used to eat them all the time, until he dropped dead one day with a belly full of them. R.I.P. poor doogy.
Seriously!!? :eek: Oh man, forget that then. I thought people bought them as a feeder insect. Are there grasshoppers or locusts that grow quickly (more or less like crickets) and available to buy? Just opening my mind up to varrying my spiders and lizard's diet.