Unexpected T. Stirmi egg sac, help!

Versijewels

Arachnopeon
Okay so i originally assumed my (apparently wild caught) 9 inch female was in premolt and posted about it, come to find out she had actually just laid an egg sac, and here’s that thread, http://arachnoboards.com/threads/massive-t-stirmi-molting-troubles.312193/#post-2843949

But i still have so many questions that need answers from with someone who has experience breeding this species. I have no breeding experience whatsoever. Ive done a lot of reading now and i think im on the right track but i need answers and tips.

Should I leave normal levels of moisture for her? Should I increase ventilation? Ive nudged her cage closer to my retics heat lamp and her hide is reading at 76.5 now. I see the tubs that people put their females in after they breed them and mine is nothing like that but as she was wild caught and has already laid the sack i dont want to disturb her so im trying to simulate what ive seen online. I have a incubator ready to go, the sack was laid on sep 24th. So im waiting at least 40 days to pull it or should i pull it sooner. The sac is rather large and ive witnessed her rolling it and taking it with her when she moves from one side of the hide to the other. Any way like i said this situation sprung itself on me so if anyone reads this that has bred Stirmi before, PLEASE HELP. Thanks guys!

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Moisture levels should be fine if the T. is doing fine the way it is. Just don't bother her. If I had to be honest, your enclosure is doable, but it's not my standards of ideal. But at this point you shouldn't really be doing anything, besides making sure she is stress free. Increasing ventilation by drilling holes?? I wouldn't do it at that point, since she already has an eggsack to care for. And if you do drill holes in that tank, it's going to stress her out more. Heat lamps?? bad idea, it can cause a lot of bad results in the end. pull it at 40 days??? That's a little to early for Therophosa sacs. It should be around 52-60 days around those temps.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Send it to me ;)

Afaik, once they have the egg sac, you don't have to up the humidity. I'd just make sure the temp. stays warm. I don't know what tubs you are talking about, I've seen a couple videos of people pairing stirmi and the females stay in their same enclosure. With ventilation, there should already be adequate ventilation so you should be fine (don't want to disturb her right now), what's the set up? I'd take out the water bowl in case she does dunk it.

Versijewels

Arachnopeon
Moisture levels should be fine if the T. is doing fine the way it is. Just don't bother her. If I had to be honest, your enclosure is doable, but it's not my standards of ideal. But at this point you shouldn't really be doing anything, besides making sure she is stress free. Increasing ventilation by drilling holes?? I wouldn't do it at that point, since she already has an eggsack to care for. And if you do drill holes in that tank, it's going to stress her out more. Heat lamps?? bad idea, it can cause a lot of bad results in the end. pull it at 40 days??? That's a little to early for Therophosa sacs. It should be around 52-60 days around those temps.
I know i was planning on Rehousing her after she “molted”. I have about half of the screen lid sealed of with taped down plastic, should i take that off? Gunna remove the water bowl now. She’s 6 feet away from the lamp but she was like 10, her temp went from 73 to 76.6 when i moved it.

Send it to me ;)

Afaik, once they have the egg sac, you don't have to up the humidity. I'd just make sure the temp. stays warm. I don't know what tubs you are talking about, I've seen a couple videos of people pairing stirmi and the females stay in their same enclosure. With ventilation, there should already be adequate ventilation so you should be fine (don't want to disturb her right now), what's the set up? I'd take out the water bowl in case she does dunk it.
Just like the rubber maid tubs with super adequate cross vent

Last edited by a moderator:

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Do you know how to make an incubator? You are going to need one after you pull and open the sack.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I know i was planning on Rehousing her after she “molted”. I have about half of the screen lid sealed of with taped down plastic, should i take that off? Gunna remove the water bowl now. She’s 6 feet away from the lamp but she was like 10, her temp went from 73 to 76.6 when i moved it.
You don't need the heat lamp at all, it will only dry out the enclosure and dessicate your stirmi...these are not basking reptiles, they avoid the light and live in dark enclosed spaces.

Low to mid 70s are actually perfect for females sitting on a sac, lower temps are what this genus does best with during this time. Conditions within the enclosure should be the exact same...moist sub and good vent. Nothing you need to do other then wait and keep disturbances at a minimum.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Basically - You are overthinking things a bit :)

Whatever her environment was like, she felt it was stable and proper enough to lay a sac... so you don't need to change anything.

I can't comment on when to pull the sac as I have never bred this species specifically, nor do I use incubators with the species I do breed.

Versijewels

Arachnopeon
Basically - You are overthinking things a bit :)

Whatever her environment was like, she felt it was stable and proper enough to lay a sac... so you don't need to change anything.how do you go about it?

I can't comment on when to pull the sac as I have never bred this species specifically, nor do I use incubators with the species I do breed.
How do you go about it? I need a good book on breeding, does that exist. Also my lease is up dec 1st and i have to move, that should be like day 66, will moving with them affect them in anyway?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
How do you go about it? I need a good book on breeding, does that exist. Also my lease is up dec 1st and i have to move, that should be like day 66, will moving with them affect them in anyway?
I breed African species... I pull sacs, if I pull them, at 30 days. By then they are EWL/1i. At 2i, I separate them into their own little containers with substrate. If I don't pull the sac (which more and more I don't like doing), then I'll pull slings out when they emerge and are 2i/3i.

I don't know of any books, but I have never looked for one.

Versijewels

Arachnopeon
I breed African species... I pull sacs, if I pull them, at 30 days. By then they are EWL/1i. At 2i, I separate them into their own little containers with substrate. If I don't pull the sac (which more and more I don't like doing), then I'll pull slings out when they emerge and are 2i/3i.

I don't know of any books, but I have never looked for one.
Word I bet pulling the sac for those old worlds is a bit scary haha. I actually just got my first old world yesterday (c. Darlingi sling for 9$) and i made its enclosure today and the moment i opened the lid to the cup he came in he darted out so fast onto me and then off me and under the shelf i keep my other 12 enclosures on haha. Had to take all my enclosures off and fish him out from under.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Word I bet pulling the sac for those old worlds is a bit scary haha. I actually just got my first old world yesterday (c. Darlingi sling for 9$) and i made its enclosure today and the moment i opened the lid to the cup he came in he darted out so fast onto me and then off me and under the shelf i keep my other 12 enclosures on haha. Had to take all my enclosures off and fish him out from under.
Honestly, I feel bad pulling sacs. My girls defend them fiercely and I feel so terrible ripping them away. I have left my last few sacs with the moms until the slings dispersed on their own and it is just so much easier on everyone!

C. darlingi is a great species! My Ceratogyrus are all really mellow in temperament... once your sling settles in and burrows, you won't have to worry about flightiness as much. Because yeah, they can be fast when they want to be! Lol.

esa space station

Arachnoknight
Honestly, I feel bad pulling sacs. My girls defend them fiercely and I feel so terrible ripping them away. I have left my last few sacs with the moms until the slings dispersed on their own and it is just so much easier on everyone!

C. darlingi is a great species! My Ceratogyrus are all really mellow in temperament... once your sling settles in and burrows, you won't have to worry about flightiness as much. Because yeah, they can be fast when they want to be! Lol.
U have to be calm about this t stirmi sack as its wild caught just means you got lucky! Owned them never bred them am all for true blondi.keep disturbance to minimium dont go stressing her out youll be fine.keep it dark if poss keep an eye on humidity but dont drown it /disturb her water her tank everyday etc
You should look up on here how to make an incubator and consider pulling sac at 40 -50 days if you like take a look at theraphosas eu.to get you in the mood and good luck!!!

Versijewels

Arachnopeon
Day 30 today, super excited! It’s getting cold and it hasnt stoped raining for about 15 days. We got warnings we have to boil our water before we drink it because our facilities cant keep up in austin. Just want to know now that i have my heater running is there any specific precautions you guys take with sacs and central heating? My roommate is always turning it on and off which is really frustrating cause im trying to keep it consistent. Ive wrapped the glass in a thick blanket but havent changed any airflow.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Day 30 today, super excited! It’s getting cold and it hasnt stoped raining for about 15 days. We got warnings we have to boil our water before we drink it because our facilities cant keep up in austin. Just want to know now that i have my heater running is there any specific precautions you guys take with sacs and central heating? My roommate is always turning it on and off which is really frustrating cause im trying to keep it consistent. Ive wrapped the glass in a thick blanket but havent changed any airflow.
Just make sure the substrate is still moist as heaters dry the air and that in turn makes water evaporate faster.

esa space station

Arachnoknight
Keep calm and keep doing what your doing keeping her warm not to humid and should be fine.any time over 40-days you could see about incubating the egg sac yourself or keep doing what your doing as the tank is a giant incubator

Versijewels

Arachnopeon
Ok guys change of plans, i found a new place that im moving into in a few days, the 1st. So the sac is on like day 35 and i was wondering if i should move her into my new place with the sac or the pull it early and incubate? It is about 30 minutes away. I dont really feel safe driving with the sac and her together in the car. The rest of my spiders will all be moved in temporary enclosures to reduce risk of cage decorations hurting them on the drive. Any info helps, i only have a few days to decide so please post away!

Versijewels

Arachnopeon
Pulled the sac, about twenty eggs, all black except for 5 that look like they will be black shortly. There was mold and tiny tiny grey bugs eating stuff in the sac, any ideas as what thats about? Id like to prevent them from existing in her cage.

esa space station

Arachnoknight
Pic might help
Only 20 ? Do you mean 20 out of all of them gone bad eggs is usually 60-90 in sac.black meand they gone bad eggs meant to be yellow

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
Pulled the sac, about twenty eggs, all black except for 5 that look like they will be black shortly. There was mold and tiny tiny grey bugs eating stuff in the sac, any ideas as what thats about? Id like to prevent them from existing in her cage.
yeah my friend a picture would really help us get an insight, it could be mites depending on the size, too bad though all the cute little slings are no more, stuff happens I guess.