Unexpected (possible) eggsac location

Theneil

Arachnoprince
i will start by saying i am still quite new to breeding. I have had several pairings and one dud sac, but at this point in time, have not yet had a success.

I currently have a VERY gravid A. avicularia that i believe is due to drop a sac at any moment, but she seems to be preparing a spot on the enclosure floor rather than her usual hangout near the top. I was curious if this is a common occurence or if mine is just being silly.

On a seemingly unrelated note: the area i believe it is prepping for an egg sac is actually the same place that it molted last, but i was not suprised it molted on the floor since i had just recieved it and it hadn't really webbed up its top corner with the cork bark yet.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Well it looks like it was probably all for nothing. it seems she couldn't get her web to stick on the sides so i am guessing that she won't be able to roll this into a proper sac.

Major bummer as the father was my first T and has since passed. Was really hoping to maintain his lineage for sentimental purposes. :(
20181024_183717.jpg

spacelord

Arachnosquire
Well it looks like it was probably all for nothing. it seems she couldn't get her web to stick on the sides so i am guessing that she won't be able to roll this into a proper sac.

Major bummer as the father was my first T and has since passed. Was really hoping to maintain his lineage for sentimental purposes. :(
View attachment 290346
How come she couldnt get it to stick to the side? Would she not try again?

Theneil

Arachnoprince
i think the webbing was just coming unstuck from the plastic. Perhapse i didn't clean the inside well enough when i first set it up and there could have been some residual mold release agent on it. i don't know for sure. I think Avics might be able to double clutch but i'm not sure how often it actually happens so i am guessing that it's all over for the males genetics. I'd love to be wrong though.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
maybe if you use sand paper to increase the friction? Why do they eggs die outside the sac btw? cant they not be saved I mean we do have modern science? if someone has a link or an explanation please fell free to hand it to me I like to learn.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
maybe if you use sand paper to increase the friction?
Perhaps that would work, but unfortunately the eggs have already been laid so it is too late.

Why do they eggs die outside the sac btw? cant they not be saved I mean we do have modern science?
Well we don't all have easy access to all of modern science LOL.

The sac is created for several reasons:

Creating a relatively sterile environment/protection from outside elements

It also contains a fluid that is excreted with the eggs to keep them from drying out, and since it is basically a sealed unit it creates a micro environment. An incubator.

The sac also acts as a means for the eggs to be manipulated without accidentally damaging them.

I doubt that i would be able to collect the eggs without damaging them, and create a mechanical mom in time to salvage them, and that is disregarding that the fluid has probably all dispersed from the eggs already.

Disclaimer: i am new to breeding and the above is just my understanding of things i have read. i have done no testing/studies of my own and i could also very possibly have misunderstood something, so take it all wit a grain of salt (or two).

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
@Theneil thanks for your insight regardless I don't have any personal experience with breeding but I do like science, and was fairly curious. Seems like the fluid would be they hardest part to replicate, and yeah especially in the lack of time it would be impossible. Honestly it would be cool if I could replicate the same environment for the eggs I don't know what cell stage the Ts are at when first laid but if they require to be in the sac for the first few then it's likely pointless to care anyways.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
@Theneil thanks for your insight regardless I don't have any personal experience with breeding but I do like science, and was fairly curious. Seems like the fluid would be they hardest part to replicate, and yeah especially in the lack of time it would be impossible. Honestly it would be cool if I could replicate the same environment for the eggs I don't know what cell stage the Ts are at when first laid but if they require to be in the sac for the first few then it's likely pointless to care anyways.
i know some people open sacs right away but i'm not sure just how soon they go. i think average time is about 3 weeks when they go from eggs to eggs with legs. Up until this time, i think many sp. (though some species make a hammock style sac that they din't move) need he sac to be routinely turned to keep the eggs from sticking together so that is another factor i would have difficulty with since i work 10 hour days and can't get home and back on breaks to move them.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
She has eaten most of the eggs. At least she got to recover some of the energy spent from the whole ordeal.