Underrated Species Appreciation Thread

boina

Lady of the mites
You know why I hate these kinds of threads? Because I went to the Hamm expo today and I bought an H. sanguiniceps (among others...) because I had read about them in this thread. Therefore it's not my fault I bought another T :penguin:.

cold blood

Staff member
Saw one at an expo. Sure post molt looks nice but it still looks ugly part of it's life as opposed to LPs which looks great all it's life.
LMAO, while I'm not generally a fan of the Theraposa, compared to an LP, they're freaking gorgeous.:astonished:

LP is the definition of the word boring in my eyes.:rofl:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
LMAO, while I'm not generally a fan of the Theraposa, compared to an LP, they're freaking gorgeous.:astonished:

Ah ah ah, when I want to laugh I hope to find one of your comments about Lasiodora parahybana :angelic:

Christ, would love to dress like Santa and throw, straight in your chimney, a good 200/250 'L.P' slings :pompous:

Arachnoclown

Arachnosquire
20171109_094106.jpg It would have to be the Brachypelma sabulosum for me. Not only does it get overlooked by almost all the other Brachys it even gets over looked by the Vagans and other red rumps. Many times it is offered up as freebie. I don't get it. They're great first time T's. Females tend to be a little skittish until you get them out of their enclosures. The males have always been great. Really docile and many times trying to climb on me and go for a ride while doing maintence. I really enjoy this species.

cold blood

Staff member
View attachment 260027 It would have to be the Brachypelma sabulosum for me. Not only does it get overlooked by almost all the other Brachys it even gets over looked by the Vagans and other red rumps. Many times it is offered up as freebie. I don't get it. They're great first time T's. Females tend to be a little skittish until you get them out of their enclosures. The males have always been great. Really docile and many times trying to climb on me and go for a ride while doing maintence. I really enjoy this species.
Do you need a MM??

Arachnoclown

Arachnosquire
Do you need a MM??
20171204_062532.jpg Already got one ....I do have another female but she's sack mates with this male pictured. Brother sister thing kinda grosses me out even though it happens in the wild. How much do you want for him?

Last edited:

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
@viper69 NO. Euthaluz sp Rad is an overrated uninteresting slow growing midget.

Some (most?) call it boring, I call it classic haha :pompous:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
If I'm being truthful, there is one T that I'm pretty underwhelmed by so far, and it is the Euathlus Sp. Red. Why? Well, I'm pretty sure that I'll be dead by the time this thing is an inch long, and I'll have to include it in my will. I've had it almost a year, and it's still only 1/2 inch long. Calling the growth rate glacial would be an insult to glaciers, which are much speedier. I'm sure the adults are as great as everyone says, but out of all my slings, it's the only one that really frustrates me with slow growth (and being a pet hole that I almost never see.)

StampFan

Arachnodemon
If I'm being truthful, there is one T that I'm pretty underwhelmed by so far, and it is the Euathlus Sp. Red. Why? Well, I'm pretty sure that I'll be dead by the time this thing is an inch long, and I'll have to include it in my will. I've had it almost a year, and it's still only 1/2 inch long. Calling the growth rate glacial would be an insult to glaciers, which are much speedier. I'm sure the adults are as great as everyone says, but out of all my slings, it's the only one that really frustrates me with slow growth (and being a pet hole that I almost never see.)
Huh. I'd consider it my most entertaining small sling. Always on the move. Never hides. Will even take down big prey if I don't pre-kill first.....and one of mine is pretty tiny.

Pokie11

Arachnosquire
LPs are not boring IMO WP_20170901_22_17_26_Pro_LI.jpg . Yeah, they are not as colorful as other Ts, but I found their dark grey/pink hair coloration really nice. Mine is very active and he never uses his hide. Aaand- he is eating like a monster.

N. incei is underrated too, at least in my country. But they are absolutely gorgeous and cute and a must-have for every collection. 2A7DA233-B58F-4603-8C90-B6F32B9B413D.jpg WP_20171210_11_56_27_Pro.jpg

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I feed my spiderlings one appropriately sized prey item twice a week, and keep them at room temperature, and mine have gone from 1/4" to 1.5"+ since mid April 2016. That puts them at about 1"/year.

Ami sp. "Panama"
I love my little girl. She used to be more visible, but for the last few months has decided to spend all of her time inside her hide.
I think that all the dwarf species are very underrated.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I feed my spiderlings one appropriately sized prey item twice a week, and keep them at room temperature, and mine have gone from 1/4" to 1.5"+ since mid April 2016. That puts them at about 1"/year.
Mine has eaten twice in the last 11 months. Once when it was a 3/8 inch sling, and once again after it molted to its current size of 1/2 inch. After those, it ignored every prekilled prey item...I have picked out tons of untouched small cricket bodies. The T's abdomen looked quite plump after both feedings, so I can only assume that it got its fill after each feeding and is waiting for a molt to eat again. It's usually between 75 and 77 in my kitchen where it lives. All my other slings have thrived, and many are over 2 inches at this point.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
One person mentioned this and I flat out agree, the most underrated species, Grammostola porteri. Scoffed off as the pet store tarantula that most unknowing beginners buy. I've been there. There is plenty of beauty in the G porteri and it's a fantastic tarantula. She's not my favorite, but definitely belongs in my collection.
The second most underrated is the Brachypelma vagans. After a molt, gorgeous. Cheap and often overlooked.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Mine has eaten twice in the last 11 months. Once when it was a 3/8 inch sling, and once again after it molted to its current size of 1/2 inch. After those, it ignored every prekilled prey item...I have picked out tons of untouched small cricket bodies. The T's abdomen looked quite plump after both feedings, so I can only assume that it got its fill after each feeding and is waiting for a molt to eat again. It's usually between 75 and 77 in my kitchen where it lives. All my other slings have thrived, and many are over 2 inches at this point.
Mine didn't have the best appetite for pre-killed. Although I know that spiderlings will scavenge, rather than starve to death, their response to pre-killed food is not as enthusiastic as live prey.
As soon as I started getting in pinhead crickets, as opposed to using pre-killed crickets/parts and meal worms, none of mine have ever turned down a meal unless in pre-moult. The Euathlus/Homoeomma sp. Red are some of my most enthusiastic eaters and take down prey larger than I ever would have given them credit for. Since moving to live food, they have never fasted.
Now, I only use pre-killed as a very last resort. They will scavenge, but my experience is that they much prefer their dinner moving and have much better appetites for live food.

EmilzHernandez

Arachnosquire
One person mentioned this and I flat out agree, the most underrated species, Grammostola porteri. Scoffed off as the pet store tarantula that most unknowing beginners buy. I've been there. There is plenty of beauty in the G porteri and it's a fantastic tarantula. She's not my favorite, but definitely belongs in my collection.
The second most underrated is the Brachypelma vagans. After a molt, gorgeous. Cheap and often overlooked.
I completely agree. A friend gave me three vagans slings as freebies, and they are not only fun to keep but the red stands out on them like crazy