Underrated Species Appreciation Thread

cold blood

Staff member
I think B. vagans gets overlooked alot. The fluffy B. albo, or any of the red leg/knees seems to get all the brachy love. I find them to be very attractive looking with the jet black carapace, bright red butt, and sweet grey socks. Mine uses its hide to sit on top of. It's always hungry and goes after food with furry. Only dissapears into burrow during pre moult. In my part of the world they are dirt cheap too.
Totally agree, I consider them to be one of the best looking black ts...I like them a lot more than I thought...and everyone's all over the red legged ones or the curly haired one...but vagans is always the odd sling out, and for $3, they shouldn't be. I think the low price has a tendency to get them over looked as people as people generally want less common ts, but many of these cheap readily abundant ts are that way because they are enjoyable.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
M
Totally agree, I consider them to be one of the best looking black ts...I like them a lot more than I thought...and everyone's all over the red legged ones or the curly haired one...but vagans is always the odd sling out, and for $3, they shouldn't be. I think the low price has a tendency to get them over looked as people as people generally want less common ts, but many of these cheap readily abundant ts are that way because they are enjoyable.
My problem is that all I can ever find available are itty bitty slings.

I'm an impatient man. :grumpy:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
E. Sp. red seems to be the most underrated species out there simply because they have a slow growth rate. How could anyone pass on this very unusual species (as far as temperament is concerned)?

As for rare tarantulas, E. Sp. yellow: they are similar in many ways to reds, but with the obvious difference in color. I have slings of this species and they are very fascinating.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
In praise of H. Himalayana; they web, they burrow, but you see them a lot. They're lightning fast, their coloration is simple but defined and bright, Jacks (or Jill's) of all trades, but masters of none, in short, they have it all going on.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I have allways liked vagans myself.. Black on fiery red and bit testy.. Cheap as hell to boot.. What's not to like..

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
I really think Brachypelma vagans is seriously underrated. Black T with a bright red rump. Plus mine hits crickets like a darn truck and never turns down food. Also I forgot to add mine has a attitude. "El Diablo Rojo" ran up my tongs when I was trying to get a mealworm out. That was the first time that happened, startled the shizit out of me lol. 20171118_110142.jpg

Last edited:

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
Juvenile LP freshly molted. Any votes from @cold blood ?;)
Lasiodora parahybana is the definitive large spider and what you want if you're looking for a tarantula.
Theraphosa spiders would've been it if they weren't an ugly brown color. :vomit: (I know LPs don't get as big as Theraphosa)

Zymotic

Arachnopeon
I think people often overlook the native species in their area. For me, that's the Aphonopelma hentzi (Texas Brown) and Aphonopelma chalcodes (Arizona Blonde). The Grammostola pulchripes is also one I think new hobbyists often overlook. It's such a great looking species and it gets pretty big.

Last edited:

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree with @cold blood the whole genus of Thrixopelma deserves so much love. You can all continue to ignore them though as it means i end up with even more of them.

As for my opinion on the most underrated species i agree with @VanessaS E parvulus are an amazing species to own and so beautiful, my adult female as been nothing but a little diamond since i got her. I would also like to add Lasiodorides polycuspulatus to the list as they are beautiful, big generally calm and very easy to care for here's my little juvenile IMG_20171209_134641101.jpg IMG_20171209_134649545.jpg

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I was tempted to post L.polycuspulatus. I love mine and they are definitely underrated. I am a big fan of Thrixopelma and have four species - ockerti, sp. Blue, pruriens and sp. Cajamarca. Those are the only ones I have seen available in Canada. I'm always on the lookout for Thrixopelma cyaneolum.
I've noticed that this thread is filled with NW terrestrials. As a group, they are overall very underrated. Everyone is always so eager to get OW species when there are dozens and dozens of fabulous NW species that they don't even seem to consider. This thread is chocked full of why they should be considered.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Everyone is always so eager to get OW species when there are dozens and dozens of fabulous NW species that they don't even seem to consider.
I've noticed that, I see so many people that completely dismiss the vast majority of NW terrestrials as "boring pet rocks" and it really irks me tbh.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@VanessaS if you ever get the chance to acquire a T lagunas grab it with both hands they are stunning their colours range from T cyaneolum blue to a very dark navy blue with a metallic edge and those beautiful gold markings rival anything I've seen so far.

@The Grym Reaper well said the choice of new world tarantulas is truly one of nature's best gifts and should never be overlooked even by experienced keepers. Even though I've kept and do keep some old worlds i still find myself looking through the new world section more than old world