Underrated Species Appreciation Thread

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Do you ever find a species that seems to be that diamond in the rough? Just an absolute gem of a T for it's beauty, it's behavior, it's temperament... But the problem is that is just doesn't seem to get the love it deserves?

For me, it's the Bumba cabocla.

Pictured above is my 2" juvenile male, Teddy. I haven't had him long, but he's been nothing but an absolute joy from the start. The first thing I noticed about this species is just how unique they look, slim true-spider legs so velvety black, it'd leave a G. pulchra green with envy. With age, the abdomen follows suit! And the carapace, a wonderful counterpoint to balance out that black with a fiery orange-red that draws the eye, like the center of an exotic flower.

Perhaps it isn't the norm for these guys, but Teddy eats like a beast with a gusto that puts Happy, my A. geniculata, to shame. So food-driven, this guy attacked the stream of water when I tried filling his water dish! Besides that though, he's a relatively slow moving tarantula that likes to take his time as he explores his enclosure. Very curious, and quite bold despite me having heard initially that this species tends to be rather shy. But not Teddy - he hangs out in the open, likely waiting for food to come ambling by!

This species is mainly terrestrial with some digging habits, and seems to be perfectly happy on relatively dry substrate and a water dish present. They're a smaller species, with mature females growing right around the 4-5" mark.

TL;DR - Small, great eater, and a gorgeously unique look both in color and body structure. I'm already looking to pick up another! I mean, heck, the name is even super fun to say! Just try it yourself; Bumba cabocla, Bumba cabocla, Bumba cabocla....

So, the conversation point of this thread:

What is a species you absolutely love that seems to be largely underappreciated in the hobby, and why do you love it so much?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Holothele sanguiniceps 100%. Similar color pattern to Bumba cabocla, but SO MUCH BETTER!!! Shimmering iridescence all over the body ranging from dazzling green to reflective purple depending on lighting and angles... Just such a beautiful tarantula. I'll post a picture later, remind me to do it lol.

diamond in the rough
((A shiny piece of coal, trying to reach my goal, my power of speech, unimpeachable))

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Hapalopus sp Columbia. They are as adorable as a tarantula can be. Don’t get very big, so housing them permanently is a snap.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Hapalopus sp Columbia. They are as adorable as a tarantula can be. Don’t get very big, so housing them permanently is a snap.
A species I still gotta get, myself. The dwarves don't get enough love!

I have both... and I'm gonna have to say I like my sanguiniceps better. :D
Depending on the aesthetic then, I may need to test that for myself in the future! :D

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Too many underrated species to mention.

2 of the most underrated in my opinion would be Nhandu chromatus and Pterinochilus lugardi.

Sometimes the common species just dont get the credit they deserve.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
2 of the most underrated in my opinion would be Nhandu chromatus and Pterinochilus lugardi.
I've been wanting a N. chromatus for a while now, probably one of the most beautiful NW terrestrials IMO, even moreso than A. geniculata... I don't know much about P. lugardi, but assuming that's what the image is of, that is one gorgeous T.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
D.pentaloris don't get much attention, beautiful looking spiders that web up everything in sight. Great feeding response as well.

I have to agree that N chromatus are crazy gorgeous. But they do seem to get the attention they deserve, from what I've seen anyway.

Another great species I don't hear of often would be Chilobrachys sp. Dyscolus blue. My AF is spectacular, and she only costed me fifteen dollars as an unsexed sling. There are plenty of stunning species out there that dont get the credit they should.

Attachments

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I was never really into Poecilotheria apart from subfusca. But in the year I have been keeping regalis I have found it to be one of the most striking and bold of the genus. Its another one that is very common but very underrated for sure.

IMG_1936.JPG

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
Heh, I have the same taste as KezyGla ;) Lugardi is best looking Pterinochilus, but everybody goes for OBT, and regalis is best looking Poecilotheria, but is so common that everybody goes for some more rare ones.

I like this thread because, I have been thinking about buying something unusual. Like E. olivacea, Sericopelma sp, or Selenocosmia (kovariki looks great), they seems to be great Ts, but not so popular, and I don't understand why;)

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
Idiothele mira, super sweet, blue feet, and it makes trap doors. All around awesome.

Phormictopus sp "full green" and "green femur", big new worlds that are usually overlooked, beautiful colors, don't hide too often, eat well and are usually pretty cheap. I'd take these guys over a pampho any day of the week.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I was never really into Poecilotheria apart from subfusca. But in the year I have been keeping regalis I have found it to be one of the most striking and bold of the genus. Its another one that is very common but very underrated for sure.

View attachment 259827
+1 Couldn't agree more man. P.regalis are definitely one of my all time favorites. Stunning spiders, but that can be said about pretty much all members of the genus.

Attachments

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Phormictopus sp "full green" and "green femur", big new worlds that are usually overlooked, beautiful colors, don't hide too often, eat well and are usually pretty cheap. I'd take these guys over a pampho any day of the week.
Post some pics man! Would love to see how these look, are your specimens unsexed? I believe only the males go green after they mature.

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
Iv got a green femur sling just molted, still un-sexed ( it's still in it's blue stage). I wasn't aware that they were sexually dimorphic. I don't really have many pics, i use my crappy phone cam, but ill try to snap one when i get home, the dude NEVER hides unless it's molting.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
:cool: Let's not forget our roots, one of the first tarantulas available to the hobby, a tarantula that was one of the first for many of us-- including myself.

G. porteri! Featuring my lovely lady, Norma Bates. :snaphappy:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Post some pics man! Would love to see how these look, are your specimens unsexed? I believe only the males go green after they mature.
Phormictopus sp. -

'green femur'

https://www.facebook.com/macilacisp...1836.127957453906746/1124639210905227/?type=3

'green gold carapace'

https://www.facebook.com/macilacisp...1836.127957453906746/1124639970905151/?type=3

'full green'

https://www.facebook.com/macilacisp...1836.127957453906746/1124638704238611/?type=3

All adult females

I keep green & gold but still in blue stages.