Undergravel filter meant for fish, as moisture provider?

Avaryc

Arachnopeon
I notice a lot of people are using tube and gravel - but has anyone tried using an undergravel filter, and jsut dumping the substrate on top of that? Seems like it wuold be easier to get water more evenly in teh tank using one

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
welcome to the board. I don't understand what your asking. Are you trying ot have a layer of water under the substrate for moisture? If so, you could make you first layer made of small rocks(1-1 1/2" thick). fill the bottom up with water and the rocks will not soak up the water.

Avaryc

Arachnopeon
http://www.petsmart.com/media/ps/images/products/detail/standard/i/in60/in603115_1208b.jpg

<EDIT - Please do not include images to which you do not hold the copyright - MrI>

You know, those things. Then you could just pour water into one of the tubes, and put a 1/4 of water on the bottmo of the tank. And drop your moss/forest floor/bark whatever on top of that.

in this case, youd get an even layer of water across the entire bottom of the tank.

Or possibly even put your misting system under it, and run the tubing for it through the pipe, (painting the pipe to blend in...) and it would be more inconspicuous.

Then the fog would roll out of the top of the pipe, and into the terrarium from above... like clouds, or rain.

Last edited:

Nlneff

Arachnopeon
I've wondered about that myself.

I would guess it would work fine, not better then gravel, but lighter, which might be useful for moving the cage around.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I don't see whya it wouldn't work but gravel and a piece of PVC pipe only costs a few $ and works just a s well. Plus, IMO gravel looks nicer.

John
];')