underfed GBB sling

Pixxie

Arachnosquire
I think it's prudent to adjust feeding based on how the spider looks, rather than sticking to a schedule no matter what. That's just my opinion, as I don't like all my spiders to look like they swallowed tennis balls.
I do have limits. I'm not gonna feed it until its but is so swollen it looks like it'll burst. Like I said in earlier posts on this thread, I like the butt a little bit larger than the carapace, and I was only going to power feed it until it's but got that way, which would be like 1 or 2 days, and then I'd feed her normally. I don't think that 1 or 2 days would affect the sling that much, and definitely not long term.

Pixxie

Arachnosquire
That picture was taken after it ate a medium cricket. So it didn't look so small anymore. I posted this thread right after I gave it the cricket (so before it actually ate and its rump got bigger). I guess I should have taken a pic of it before it ate because I really can't explain how small it was, and even if I could I think everyone would think I'm just exaggerating. Or I should have just waited till after it ate and then decided if it was still necessary to start this thread. I was just really worried with how small its rump was before it ate because I've never gotten a T that who's rump was so small (again I mean before it ate, not in the picture thats in this thread because that was taken after it ate). Just trying to be more clear. But thank you everyone for your advice and concerns and opinions, I do appreciate it (even if my opinion wasn't the same, haha). :)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
geez.. two pages of the same stuff... who cares what its abdomen LOOKED like. hows it doing NOW.. is it settled in nicely? have you figured out a good feeding regimen yet? IDK why alot of people wanna add their .02$ but not do anything, or help ya find answers to help address the problem.

Pixxie

Arachnosquire
geez.. two pages of the same stuff... who cares what its abdomen LOOKED like. hows it doing NOW.. is it settled in nicely? have you figured out a good feeding regimen yet? IDK why alot of people wanna add their .02$ but not do anything, or help ya find answers to help address the problem.
Yeah, I kinda feel like I shouldn't have even started this thread, but anyway.

Its doing well, seems healthy, put it in a new enclosure to day so as far as settling in goes, it hasn't done that yet but I'm sure it'll be fine, it took another cricket yesterday. I've figured out that it doesn't like the tongs but if I drop the cricket right in front of it, it pounces on it, s/he's a pretty vicious little creature. So I'll be feeding it one cricket every 3-5 days or so. I don't really keep a strict feeding schedule for my T's. I just feed them when I feel like its time they eat again.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yea, a circket every few days sounds like how i feed ALL my slings. the GBBs i used to have were pretty cool. their webbing was higher up off the substrate and i always drop the crickets down below, so theyd have to go on a hunt. Glad yours is doing nicely.

Jared781

Arachnobaron
At a little over an inch, I would think it would be unnecessary especially with a desert sp. like this one. Best to wait until its a bit bigger, when it's enclosure is big enough that a bottlecap dish won't make it constantly humid inside.

No, I don't consider that power feeding. If you read my post, it says once every three days or so. IME, I've found that when these little guys are topped off, they will fast for about 3-5 days before accepting any more food, then eventually will fast for a couple of weeks until a molt. If the OP wants a feeding response every time, I suggested feeding every 3 days or so.

I think the "once a week" thing is just a rule of thumb in place to prevent new owners from over feeding their spiders. After a while, one starts to realize "once a week" is a lot for most tarantulas. I think it's prudent to adjust feeding based on how the spider looks, rather than sticking to a schedule no matter what. That's just my opinion, as I don't like all my spiders to look like they swallowed tennis balls.
If the "once a week" feeding comes around again, and the abdomen is not HUGE but considerably big I will just feed it a smaller prey item... regardless of size