1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The Review & Report forums are closed to new posts. Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews & reports. If you do not see a review item for a seller, please contact them and request they create their own review item. If you would like to leave a breeding/bite/sting report, please contact an administrator with the species name that you would like to report and what type of report you would like to leave. We will create an item for you. The Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings forum is still open for new posts.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Scheduled Maintenance - Extended Downtime

Please click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Uncover - Tarantula

Discussion in 'Book and Magazine Reviews' started by Nerri1029, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Nerri1029

Nerri1029 Chief Cook n Bottlewasher Old Timer

Advertisement
    I found a most amazing book at Borders Books..

Uncover Tarantulas

This is a GREAT "book"

It is actually a 7 layer plastic overlay model built into the pages of this book..

As you turn the page a layered real 3D model is lifted apart so that different organs and structures are visible..and each page explains these parts...
    fairly scientific but not overly complicated..

perfect for those elementary school demos..

ISBN 1-59223-237-x

here's a link with pics

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=34515

2. Bark

Bark Arachnoknight Old Timer

I got this for Xmas. It would probably be good for 4th through 10th graders as long as they weren't the destructive type. It isn't worth the $18.99 USD, but if you get it on sale, it is a neat thing to have.

3. becca81

becca81 Arachnoemperor Old Timer

THUMBS UP​
    I just bought this book from Sam's and really like it. It was $10.88 at Sam's and, I thought, a good deal.

It is very fragile and young children would likely break it. However, the information included is very interesting and, as far as I can tell, accurate. It puts the anatomy and internal mechanisms of a tarantula on a kid's level.

I'm going to put it in my science classroom for further reading by my students.

4. Daywalker

Daywalker Arachnosquire Old Timer

i also have this book . it is well worth the $11 i paid for it . :clap:
    anyone starting out in the T hobby should buy this book .

5. Jeri

Jeri Arachnoknight Old Timer

I received this fun little book for Xmas. It is the coolest thing. Anyone who comes to my house and sees it just can't put it down.

Jeri

6. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Arachnobaron Old Timer

My kids got this book for Christmas. They like it very much, though they have to have an adult help them with it so the delicate model doesn't get destroyed.

I think it is a worthwhile book, but I recommend that people edit this book to rid it of a some inaccuracies:

No page numbers, so the category at the top of the page is:

Venom System

The subheading is:

Fang fact

The problem is one word that implies that a tarantulas fangs move side to side, like pincers, and additionally move up and down. Remove the word "also" from the sentence: "In tarantulas, the fangs also move up and down."

Next edit:

Category: Nervous System
    Subheading: Sensory clues about the tarantula's world

Towards the bottom of the discussion of tarantula eyes, a sentence reads: "Most spiders have eight eyes, but some have more and some have fewer." Actually, none have more. Remove "some have more and".

I haven't finished reading the book this closely, so if anyone else can contribute edits that will improve this book, please feel free to help with the task.

7. kosh

kosh Arachnobaron Old Timer

This book seems to be a popular x-mas gift. I got a copy for x-mas as well. It was interesting but it seems more geared towards younger people.

8. csherman

csherman Arachnopeon

I was finally able to pick this one up for my son and I.* This is a really cool book! I'll agree on the fragility of the plastic pieces but I think if I keep it on the shelf until "reading time" it should be safe from even my five year old son (who can break an anvil)
    Since our B. smithi arrived, my son has had a very healthy thirst for knowledge about Tarantulas. This will be slightly less dry than reading to him from TKG, which he actually seems to enjoy!
    Perhaps I'll come back and add my son's review tomorrow, but I'm totally stoked about this one.

Thanks Nerri

*I did, indeed, find this at Sam's Club for only $10.88, Thanks Becca

9. Snipes

Snipes Arachnoprince Old Timer

I found this in the sale bin at Borders and I have found it to be an amazing book, as it is visual and interactive. Despite a few innacuracies this book is great and it is hard to ask for more for a book aimed at younger readers.