1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unboxing Velvet Worms

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by Staehilomyces, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Staehilomyces

Staehilomyces Arachnoprince Active Member

Advertisement
    Here's a quick vid of me unboxing my new velvet worms. These are native Australian species, and don't require special cooling provided the room temp doesn't get excessively high. Feel free to subscribe to my channel if you enjoyed the video!

• Like Like x 8
  2. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    Awesome! I hope they do well for you, these are crazy cute.

3. basin79

basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

If love some of the large tropical species.

4. Staehilomyces

Yeah, those central and South American species make me drool.
    One of the best "gettable" velvets for me is the orange morph of this species.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gaherp

Gaherp Arachnofarmer Old Timer

On my dream list. My wife loves the T's but these she put the line in the sand on. Great vid and maybe one day. Post more vids, always love to watch them move and the unique way they feed.

• Clarification Please Clarification Please x 1
  6. Staehilomyces

Wait - she's not bothered by giant spiders, but can't cope with velvet worms?

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Gaherp

Gaherp Arachnofarmer Old Timer

My wife will sort slings, pull egg sacs, feed the T's, handle a lot of crazy stuff, and put up with my shenanigans. Heck that is why I married her, but when it comes to roaches, velvet worms, centipedes, and a few other things she is skittish as all get out. We met at a pet shop around 15 years ago. Both of us would road herp together and she did not back down from handling venomous in pretty hairy situations. I was in college at the time, but I knew I was going to marry that woman.

We moved in together while I finished college which combined are herp collection which included various smaller snakes(colubrids), 3 huge burmese(16 to 19 feet she grew from hatchlings), my big redtails(real Suriname the largest female touching 10 feet), venomous(native and exotic), around a 100 dart frogs, tarantulas galore, some varinids, and geckos. Needless to say we had two rooms devoted and there was nothing she would not tackle so I thought. Than one day I got a dubia colony. She showed her first sign of being skittish around something. She would not touch the adults and I mean none. To the point of getting really jumpy around them. I found out the depth of fear towards them one night.

While I was sorting roaches I tossed a male onto her. The mayhem that transpired was of epic proportions. My habit of scaring folks is known by many, but needless to say that was a bad miscalculation of judgement. Once she stopped freaking out I got the most epic fussing i have ever received and I won't do it again. She now will handle up to juvie sized roaches to feed but no adults will ever get handled by her.

Next I purchased a scolopendra subspinipes, I had a few back in my childhood years, and I really wanted to breed them again. I eased her into it with one adult which I could tell she was uneasy about it From the start. She did not like it but she accepted it for my sake. Then the uneventful day I inadvertently got bit by it. I was pulling a lot of soil from its viv due to a major mold issue, and instead of taking the centipede out I just let it roam around the cage while this is going on. I let my guard down and rookie mistake my hand got just close enough. The bite led to a sucky night to say the least, but I managed without going to the hospital. My centipede was given away and that solidified her fear for centipedes even though she has never held one.

Finally to the velvet worms. She was watching a nature program with me. She loved the way they looked and loved the spraying of silly string like action to capture prey items. Then they show the actual jaws that are retractable. That was enough to plant the seed of unease, and dash any chance of having them. My wife is not afraid of a lot of things. We have swam with alligators an sharks, played with bears, and handled every thing from crotalids to elapids, heck dealt with what most people would be truly afraid of. My wife maybe afraid of only a handful of things, but that's okay with me. I guess being afraid of a few small creatures is a small price to pay for the love of my life. Sorry for such a long post. Oh and her small price to pay is the pranks. My family has learned if you show me your weakness or fear I will exploit it for a good scare

• Love Love x 1
  8. AbraxasComplex

AbraxasComplex Arachnoprince Old Timer

Love these. Been raising some Epiperipatus and would love to grab more. Drop me a measage.

9. Speg

Speg Arachnosquire

I'd love to get a velvet worm. Fell in love after I saw an orange one

10. Staehilomyces

Unfortunately I cannot export out of Australia. Sorry about that.

11. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnobaron Active Member

It's funny what animals people are afraid of. Someone asked me what animals I was afraid of. "Only the ones I can't stop from killing me" was my answer.

12. Speg

Speg Arachnosquire

I'm only afraid if I'm face to face... I'm not afraid of a lion on the internet... but anyone out in Africa who is 50 feet from a lion will be trembling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AbraxasComplex

AbraxasComplex Arachnoprince Old Timer

Somehow I missed that.

14. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoprince Active Member

CT
    So lucky to have those man! I def need to pick up some of these if the opportunity comes around.