unbelievable monitor antics.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, a few weeks ago I posted about Sal everting his hemipenes for no apparent reason. I remember Dave saying something about him being a teenager and whipping it out when he can. The vet seemed to agree with that. A few days ago though, he took things to the next level. He wrapped his front legs around my wrist, hind legs gripping my forearm tightly. Then he curled his neck around my palm, and his tail around my forearm. He then proceded to attempt what I can only guess was copulation on my arm. Nobody believes me when I tell them, they think I am lying. Bridget witnessed the whole thing, and actually told me to smack him and tell him no. Sal is only 6 months old and around 20". Is it possible he is already ready to mate? Does this happen sometimes with monitors or do I have a bi-species homosexual monitor? :rolleyes:

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It happens not only with monitors but with other lizards as well. It is perfectly normal behavior. A lot of folks think their male Iguana is grabbing them and attacking when they are trying to get some. :) It is an odd experience though not without much humor.

Phil

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Crap, remind me to never get a large male lizard.

...It's not all slimey or anything, is it? ;P

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The same thing happened with my veiled chameleon, gripping my hand very tightly and shivering, quite a funny experience...

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well then, im afraid Sal is going to have to gfet a girlfriend, because while im pretty open minded, im just not okay with this. it was funny at first, but it may get old quick. the hemipenes arent slimy, but they look kind of strange once fully unsheathed.

PrincessToad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had this happen with my male iguana before. I got him a stuffed animal and he used and abused that thing quite happily. I finally found him a female to play with, but he was quite content with his little stuffed buddy before she came along.