um...do vinegaroons normally eat dirt?

inkl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well i bought a vinegaroon yesterday, and in the midle of it shovelling around all the dirt in its tank it seemed to be putting some of the dirt in it's mouth, and even eating it. it ate a cricket and got all the water it wanted, is there a reason for it to be putting dirt in its mouth?

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've seen this behavior in scorpions when they are thirsty and have damp substrate but no water dish.

I'm not sure why else it would do that.

Peace,

Paul

inkl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well it keeps filling up its water dish with dirt, it's done it about 4 times since saturday, and i didnt see a water dish in the pet store so that could be it thanks!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
mine does the same thing. I could fill her water dish every day, and each day she will fill it with dirt.
I'm not sure if she eats dirt, but she is always moving it around. She is the most energetic bug I've seen. She redecorates and digs new tunnels constantly.
She will also eat nonstop...
they are super cool inverts :)

inkl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
phew!

i was getting a little worried about it, it just seemed way to active, i got used to my tarantula not moving for days on end lol, yep, it has filled its water bowl with dirt 6 times since saturday now and has a bunch of unfinished tunnels all over the place

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Drinking this way is probably typical of what they do in the wild. Open water is a rarity in much of their range. Most tarantulas and scorpions can also drink this way if they need to.

Wade